Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help me understand the No man's land" >

Help me understand the No man's land"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me understand the No man's land"

Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Help me understand the No man's land"

I won't get into the theories, here.....I'll just give you a scenario. I've only butchered 19 deer in my day.....so I can only go on my limited experiences.

Is it possible to shoot a deer through BOTH backstraps and not down the animal (via a spine shot). I mean.....have that animal leave your set like it's fine.

Knowing what I have experienced about carving the backstraps out of the backbone.....I say "NO".

What say ye experts?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 AM

Default RE: Help me understand the No man's land"

I agree.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 AM

I would say that in exactly the right and freekish circumstances, yes it could be done. With that said I would say 97.376% of the time I would agree with you. Never say never!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 AM

The no zone is not through the back straps. The no zone is below the spine, but above the vitals. The no zone does exist, and most hunters will hit it some time in their career.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

The no zone is not through the back straps. The no zone is below the spine, but above the vitals. The no zone does exist, and most hunters will hit it some time in their career.

I don't believe that area just mentioned exists. I believe many hunters hit over the spine and don't know it.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I don't believe that area just mentioned exists. I believe many hunters hit over the spine and don't know it.
Agreed or they make worse shots then mentioned. Making the deer a much harder recovery. They blame the void, cuz it can't be just a bad shot.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I would say that in exactly the right and freekish circumstances, yes it could be done.
Just so I understand you......the arrow goes through one backstrap......through the spine....and through the other backstrap.....and the deer walks away, seemingly unscathed?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Not sure, but it appear justbelow the orgin of the back straps and just behind the shoulder. I process my own deer as well, and a few years back I sent an arrow at a deer that hit a branch and slipped just below the back straps. My arrow had blood on it, but not much. I couldnt blood trail the deer, and gave up after the day had ended. A month later, I down a doe in the same area, and when I was processing it, I noticed two spots on the deer, just below the back straps, and right behind the shoulder blade. It had been the deer I had shot earlier. It had closed up nicely and the deer seem to have suffered no ill effects.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Spike

If you sever the spine it will drop. I beleive it is possible to catch the area desribed with no fatal damage.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard of the arrow going above the lungs and below the spine before which they call a grease shot. But Im sure you would down a deer if you hit the back strap.

Quick Reply: Help me understand the No man's land"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.