Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting tips.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting tips.

ORIGINAL: gutshot

Hit what you're aiming at.
Yup! Don`t forget that part it mite come in pretty handy
Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

have a shot sequence and repetition....
try to draw your bow with your eyes closed and get that natural feel for it...

ow and practice......

F.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you think you're good at one distance, move back 10 yards. When you get good there, move back another 10. Practicing at long range magnifies your mistakes and makes them easier to see. When they're easier to see, they're easier to correct.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

All of the comments and tips are excellent. The one thing I would add is that you need to learn to relax. One of the hardest things to do in Archery is to relax. You are in a stressful situation, pulling x number of pounds and holding it. However, if you relax your holding arm and follow the other form tips, you will hit your target. If you are tense, you transfer all of the tension to the bow when you release.Also, it is more important to aim than itis to shoot.I hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grip the bow properly. Only let the heel of your thumb touch the grip. Your palm should never touch it.

This is the only part of your hand that should touch the grip.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then wrap your fingers losely around it. Use a wrist sling so you can grip losely.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

good tips guys...

ontop of that, dont OVER do it. last year i got my first bow in late july i think it was. i was in a hurry...leave for school late august and would only have 2-3 days a week to practice after that...i over did it. my shooting suffered. my shoulder was on the verge of being in serious trouble. shooting tired is not good. bad habits start, frustration sets in...just no go. practice as much as you can...everyday is great...but dont shoot yourself out. once you start feeling tired, hang the bow up. i find if i shoot 3 arrows at a time, opposed to 5 i can shoot alot longer. just givess my muscles a little more time to relax i guess..

i cant stress what arthur said as well...i just got in from shooting 50yds. i never imagined shooting 50yds with a bow. only the second time ive done it and im doing well...but whats more impressive, and why i shoot long distance, is my short range shooting. my 40yd groups are now better than ever...tomarrow, i plan on shooting 60...i wanna shrink those 50yd groups

perfect practice makes perfect. shooting in GOOD form and consistant form is the way to get good. consistancy is key...grip, form, sight picture, sight alignment...everything gotta be the same.

also...."aim small, miss small" at 50yds im shooting at a 1" square. that 1" square looks HUGE at 20yds. i need get me some golf tees. someone here said they make a good closer range target. my groups shrunk immediatly when i started painting smaller targets
Old 08-23-2007, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06
perfect practice makes perfect.
Here's the first rule to remember! Just slinging arrows doesn't make you better. Executing perfect shots makes you better.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice from 50 or 60 yards. Practicing at long ranges will make you learn to do everything properly. If you don't do things right you will miss by alot.

You need to try to keep the sight pin on the target after the shot. Don't drop the bow to see where you hit. Don't "look" for the arrow.Don't look around the bow.Just try holding the pin on the target until you hear the arrow's impact.

When you look for the arrow or look to see where you hit, you are actually moving the bow off target at the exact instant you hit the release trigger. It is like flinching with a rifle. This causes you to miss.

When shooting at 50 and 60 yds., it is very important to follow through and try keeping that pin on target after you hit the release trigger. If you don't you will miss by several inches at that range. If you only practice at 20 yds., you won't notice you are moving the bow at the instant of release.You won't notice your mistakes. That's why practicing at long range really helps. It teaches you to do everthing right. If you don't you'll notice it.

When you move up to 20 yds. after practiceing at those far ranges, it will seem easy. Especially after you learn to follow through. Be careful not to shoot too many arrows at the target unless you like replacing nocks and vanes.

Constantly challenge yourself. Shoot smaller and smaller targets. Shoot from different positions, sitting, kneeling, twisted around backwards, etc...

Build your confidence by the constant self imposed challenges. Invite over friends and shoot. Challenge each other for fun or maybe a few dollars.

Other than that practice often and go to some 3D shoots. They're fun and teach you a lot about judging yardages. Go with some friends and you'll have a good time.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

tip of the day give up archery take up golf

Quick Reply: Shooting tips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.