Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what stand?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what stand?

i am looking into getting a new stand. I would prefer a hang on stand that is light enough to carry into public land and screw in some steps and throw it up. I dont want a climber because i might use this as a hang on stand at some private land. I was looking at the lone wolf or the loggy bayou predator. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 PM

Default RE: what stand?

i dont know i have heard some bad things on loggy bayou so i would go for the lone wolf personaly though i would get a climber
Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

I myself would use a climber on Public ground. Anyone can steal a portable as long as they have steps with them or something to get them up a tree. I dont leave my portables on Private ground. But its your money, I just wouldnt throw my money away, cause there are quite a few thiefs out there who would steal it in a heart beat... Just my opinion.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 PM

IMO if I was you I would get a climber and when your hunting public land just carry it in and carry it out . On private land just leave it in the woods , Climbers are just good to have you can move any time you want with one . Say your hunting and you dont like the spot your in or somethin just climb down and move .
Old 08-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

thing is i like the price of the hang on stands....i am cheap....i know!! I have a cousin who has the lone wolf and he was able to get op in the tree and secure it in a few minutes.....didnt make a noise at all. I was looking for something like that....never really liked climbers. I dont know why, maybe its because i never really have used one before.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Do yourself a favor and check out the Chippewa stands. These stands are the simplest stands on the market to attach a treestand to a tree. They also come in a variety of sizes to fit all and weigh very lilttle.
Heres a link for you.
http://www.chippewawedgeloc.com/
Old 08-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

if i had to get a climber...which one is a good affordable one to look at?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I love my Lone Wolf Alpha Assault. It's just 8.5 pounds, one piece cast aluminum (silent and light) and easy to hang. Although I would choose to get the Alpha (not Assault) model for the bigger platform now (12.5 lbs).

I don't think I would leave one up on public land, though...too expensive.

The Lone Wolfclimbing sticks are great, too (10 lbs for 4 sticks, which gets you up 15'+ in a tree), and they fit nicely onto the stand for easy, compact carrying.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

there would be no way that i would leave it up on public land....i dont care what any stand it is.