Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cool, I'm off.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cool, I'm off.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So my invitation's off?

I see where I stand, now.

No, it's still on. I need someone to carry all the gear if my legs still gimpy.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

True, Rob... any reassurance when you're down and out is welcome news -- even if we've known it for years.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, its always nice when a Pro confirms what you have known for 40 years Good luck, and hope the leg is well in plenty of time!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same week I'm off. We will be at APAJaws camp in NY from Friday night until probably Monday, then down to PA for Tuesday to Friday, then back to NY to hunt till Sunday. That we we get to hunt Sundays too.

Can't wait. I have a couple spots on both properties that we rest until this week and never hunt before. Every year during this week I have had encounters with true slammers at less than 60 yards. Hopefully this is the year........
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM

I'll be taking off the 2 weeks before that for my Colorado trip, but I think I might try and extend it into 3 weeks. I got a strange feeling that we might get stuck in Nebraska due to snow?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting By The Moon (Alsheimer):

First, let’s clear up what the word rut[/b] means, the word rut is a general term that refers to the period covering the seeking, chasing and breeding phases. When the deer heard is balanced, this period normally is intense for about 25 days. This includes about 10 to 11 days before the breeding phase and 14 days during the breeding phase. The most intense period for buck sightings, chasing, fighting and tending during this time will typically occur one to two days after the rutting moon until three to four days into the breeding phase.

Rut Suppressants[/b]: always be aware that weather, warm temperatures, human pressure, high doe to buck ratios (greater than 3-1), changing food sources, and baiting can alter the rut’s chemistry and intensity.

This information is based on adultdoeto buck ratio being3-1 or less to see these phases noticeably.

When hunting the moon phases you first have to know the fall equinox or autumnal equinox[/b] (when there is 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness) comes. Sept. 23, 2007

Pre Rut Moon [/b](Sept. 26) : this is the first full moon after the autumnal equinox.

Rutting Moon [/b](Oct. 26) : this is the second full moon after the autumnal equinox. From this full moon through the third quarter, bucks will be in their seeking/chase phase.

Post-Rut Moon [/b](Nov. 24) : this is the third full moon after the autumnal equinox.

Seeking Phase of the Rutting Moon[/b]: this period typically begins three to four days before the rutting moon and ends two or three days after this full moon. This is when bucks actively seek estrous does. This period will overlap the “Chase Phase”. Scraping can be intense during this time[/b]. This phase has bucks most vocal than any other time of the year. [/b]

Chase Phase of the Rutting Moon[/b]: this period begins about two days after the rutting moon and last three to four days into the “Breeding Phase.” This[/b] is when bucks chase nearly every doe they see in an attempt to find one in estrus[/b]. In herds with good age structure and well balanced doe to buck ratio, scraping is intense this time. [/b]

Breeding Phase[/b]: The prime breeding window begins about seven days after the rutting moon (Nov. 2). It lasts for about 14 days. The end of scraping actively indicates this phase has begun.