Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's this Fishy Creature? >

What's this Fishy Creature?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's this Fishy Creature?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default What's this Fishy Creature?

While scouting for a place for the perfect treestand (hence the post on the bowhunting forum)I came accross several of these fish creature carcasses. I saw the same thing about 4 years ago in the same area. I jump everytime I see them because they look a bit scarey. They are about 11 - 13 inches long, and have about a 2" long mouth with nasty looking teeth. These are next to shallow ponds that eventually dry up.Theponds are nearthe Platte River in Missouri (about200 yards away)and are on the other side of the levee.Does anyone have a clue or know of someone that can identify these things? I'll get better pics later on if there is someone that really wants them. My pics onmy computerare higher resolution.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's this Fishy Creature?

looks like it could be a type of gar take the pic to your local fish and wildlife place
Old 08-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

looks sorta like a Alligator gar cain't tell for shore!!!Like big said your F&W can tell.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, its a gar for sure. When the river overflows they get stuck in those little ponds and they die when they dry out..
Old 08-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not an expert, but I'd say it's a long-nose gar. They're able to survive in stagnant water because they have some sort of bladder in their lungs that allows them to gulp and store air from the surface. As to why it's in the woods...I'd assume, as the pool dried up, some animal grabbed it up for a meal.

Sorry didn't see the spot was 200 yards from the river. Yeah, then the water came over the banks, but dried up like the above post says.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definetly a Alligator Gar........just about useless and not very good for eating!They are good for target practicing with a Bow if your Bow Fishing. Those Gar's can grow to over 200 lbs and some are in the record books.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:57 PM

Yep--gar.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

actually fellas i believe scholars would tell you this is definitely a diversity!! traces uncovered by the germans in 1904 literally translated as a whale's bagina. amazing i know, but fact nonetheless. your welcome.

no but seriously i think it is a GAH!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Alligator gar are pretty creepy when they surface for air right near you during some
early duck hunting/wading. [&:]
Old 08-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

as already said.....Gar

Quick Reply: What's this Fishy Creature?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.