Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!! >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I might as well get a couple of licks in on this old horse.

Why is it that the QDMA specifically says that QDM is not for every hunter or every piece of property. They even give a list of questions i.e Do you have the resources? Do you have enough land? Do you have landowner cooperation? etc. etc. The inventors of the whole QDM strategy know it is not for everyone but apparently some oftheir members and advocates didn't get the memo or bother to read through the QDMA site thoroughly enough to wrap their brains around that fact. Well just in case you skimmed through and missed this part from the QDMA website:

Is QDM Right for You?

Quality deer management is not a panacea and many things should be considered before implementing QDM practices on your hunting land. If you answer yes to the following questions, QDM may be right for you. · Do you have enough acreage to manage your deer population without being severely affected by hunting pressure on adjacent properties? If not, will your neighbors join you and possibly others in forming a QDM cooperative? · Is the habitat on your hunting property adequate to produce and maintain a healthy deer herd? If not, do you and your hunting companions have the funds, equipment, and commitment to manage and improve the habitat? · Do the deer-hunting regulations in your state allow enough flexibility to manage your herd? Does your state wildlife agency encourage and assist landowners with management and allow adequate doe harvests? · Are you and your hunting companions prepared to commit to a long-term (often five or more years) management program? · Do you and your hunting companions understand the financial, time, and energy commitments and have realistic expectations regarding a QDM program?
When considering QDM, realistic expectations must be stressed. Management goals should be set with the potential of the local herd in mind. As a quality herd becomes established, it is important not to let expectations exceed the capabilities of the herd or habitat. Significant changes to deer herds and deer habitats do not happen overnight and often take several years to become obvious.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Atlasman, what is team 41? I am not familiar with the "teams?"
Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

If you injoy deer hunting (not just trophy hunting)QDM is the way to go. Yes big racks generate big money, I likebig racks and money. But thats not what its all about. Shoot a small (not inmature)bucks if you want to, it will benefit the over all herd health and dynamics.Take all the dose you are aloted, please. Just trynot to kill young bucks (1 1/2 to 21/2)and pass up dose,it will have aNEGATIVE it impack and there will be no deer to hunt. A mature doe is harder to kill than an inmature buck but ifyou work hard I know you can do it. Not useing QDM is selfish.
Please, educate me. How will shooting young bucks lead to no deer to hunt? Yes, there will be less adult bucks to hunt, although shooting adult bucks also results in less adult bucks.Passing up does, will lead to an increase of deer population. This could be good or bad, depending on your area. Even if it leads to an overpopulation of deer, nature will balance itself. That is whatnature did before there were so many hunters. Your statementis a complete BS. The only thing that will result in no deer to hunt is if the DNR were to allow people to shoot as many deer as they want or the destruction of whitetail habitat.

How can someonethat is willing to sacrifice someone else's enjoyment for their own call others selfish?

By the way, I shoot lots of does and have let many small bucks pass. I understand the logic behind it, but am not willing to sacrificethe freedom of myself and othersin order to achieve big bucks.
"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."
Old 08-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I will take 4 to 1 odds we make it to 15 pages my midnight est
Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

I'm getting tired! I will probably be leaving in a few minutes. Past my bedtime.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

I will take 4 to 1 odds we make it to 15 pages my midnight est
i will take that bet!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Bowhunter2001

Atlasman, what is team 41? I am not familiar with the "teams?"

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=112

Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is really not a topic worth a whole lot of arguing on a forum with people at all different
stages of hunting, with completely different situations, in different states, with various sizes
and types of property.

Most of us would have no problem with a 12 year old kid taking a 2.5 year old buck or even a
spike as his first deer (I hope). Similarly, if you are hunting a postage stamp in the middle
of outlaw country where every Billy Bob blasts everything in sight, well you might want to
reevaluate your QDM approach.

I try to work at convincing those who hunt in and around the areas I hunt of the benefits of QDM
(or of actually killing does and passing on smaller bucks). Is it selfish (as was alluded to earlier)?
A little, but it fits quite well into the optimistic, the future is bright and bigger bucks or in store meme.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

This is really not a topic worth a whole lot of arguing on a forum with people at all different
stages of hunting, with completely different situations, in different states, with various sizes
and types of property.

Most of us would have no problem with a 12 year old kid taking a 2.5 year old buck or even a
spike as his first deer (I hope). Similarly, if you are hunting a postage stamp in the middle
of outlaw country where every Billy Bob blasts everything in sight, well you might want to
reevaluate your QDM approach.

I try to work at convincing those who hunt in and around the areas I hunt of the benefits of QDM
(or of actually killing does and passing on smaller bucks). Is it selfish (as was alluded to earlier)?
A little, but it fits quite well into the optimistic, the future is bright and bigger bucks or in store meme.
Dude no logic I have money on this thread
Old 08-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

They told me that they only shoot does for meat and let the bucks up to 3 yrs go.
Why up to 3 years? Still an immature buck. If your aren't waiting for them to truly mature ( 5 1/2 +) quit your preaching cause the deer you are shooting are still growing. To tell someone they are being selfish, immature or whatever for shooting a 1 1/2 while you down anything less then 5 is simply being HYPOCRTICAL!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.