Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you think Scent Lok is a must? >

Do you think Scent Lok is a must?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think Scent Lok is a must?

Old 08-18-2007, 05:02 PM

Default RE: Do you think Scent Lok is a must?

I am surprised at all the negative responses.....Either the folks that use it and trust it are unaccounted for today, or not as many people use it as it seems....

I will have to admit it's not a MUST have.....but neither is camoflauge, honestly. Rubber boots? Nope. Treestands? Nope.

If the old addage "Hunt the wind and and it doesn't matter" is true, why do those same people take showers with scent free soaps and scent free laundry detergent? If all that matters is the wind, none of those are necessary either.

Scent Lok alone will not suffice. It's got to be used as part of your overall scent control SYSTEM......
Old 08-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sid828

I agree! Ever wonder what a deer actually smells? I was always lerry of cover scents. We hunt in the ceders. The best cover scent in the world in the ceders, is ceder. I take those ceder berries and rub them from head to toe. I smell like a Christmas Tree in the blind. Never have been busted by smell. Movement yes!
Never been busted by smell......that you know about.There are a lot of people out there that have been busted many times over by deer that never knew were in the country.

I don't think it is a must, but I do believe it helps out. Anything that can help just a little, is a plus in my books!!
Old 08-18-2007, 05:22 PM

ok lets think about history, Did the indians have scent lok? did the servive? were they not the greatest hunters on earth?
Old 08-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Dominant Buck

ok lets think about history, Did the indians have scent lok? did the servive? were they not the greatest hunters on earth?

No....but they practiced a form of scent control.

Yes....some of them survived.

No. They were not the greatest hunters on earth.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHunterJim

That logic isn't even.......logical. The Native Americans didn't have ANYTHING we have now.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it does help some but I also dont think its a must. Most of my camo isnt Scent Lok, but I do have a few clothes that are. If you are hunting an area where you dont know which direction the deer will be coming from and cant hunt any particualr wind, then scent control plays a much bigger role than hunting the wind. I try and set up my stands in a particualr hunting area so I can hunt multiple stands depending on the wind just as an extra precaution. I use scent control sprays more then scent control clothes, its just cheaper. I think your breath puts out way more scent than people think, its your own permanent Breath Bomb. Stand in front of any of your buddies face for 3 or 4 hours and let me know the results lol. If you can smell it a deers built in scent labratory can smell it a long way off. I also dont think its a rip off by any means.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MILLERTIME10

ORIGINAL: sid828

I agree! Ever wonder what a deer actually smells? I was always lerry of cover scents. We hunt in the ceders. The best cover scent in the world in the ceders, is ceder. I take those ceder berries and rub them from head to toe. I smell like a Christmas Tree in the blind. Never have been busted by smell. Movement yes!
Never been busted by smell......that you know about.There are a lot of people out there that have been busted many times over by deer that never knew were in the country.

I don't think it is a must, but I do believe it helps out. Anything that can help just a little, is a plus in my books!!
MillerTime Amen brother Amen
Old 08-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a photomicrograph of cloth from a piece of high end scent blocking clothing. The black specks are the carbon. Look at it and think of how much scent the carbon actually catches... and how much has to get through it.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

The above picture is taken by a person with a site dedicated to smearing scentLok.

The above person also tried to take a bribe from scentlok. Arthur I have about asmuch faith in the picture as i do in the Govener here in MI

The bribe part is on his website, so I did not make it up, LOL. Not saying to useit or not, nor believe in it. I just can not stand people with agenda's. I have use Scent-Lok in the past, but I find some of the silver base clothing easier to use. Fact in 2007 I will not have a suit with ScentLok. Because I feel other products are better, if ScentLok makes a product better than what I am using, then I will buy it.

Here is the quote from the guys site. Sorry I won't use the persons name
I was informed on May 2, 2007, that in their most recent Patent re-exam, Scent Lok accuses me of trying to get them to bribe me to not post, talk about or write about my proof that their product cannot work as they claim. The truth of the matter is that I did try to get them to bribe me, in either an e-mail or a signed letter, so that I would have proof of their willingness to bribe me, so I could expose their tactics to the public. I never intended to accept a bribe from them.
I came up with the idea of trying to get them to bribe me after Mike Andrews (of Scent Lok) made the following statement to me: "We look forward to having you as one of our biggest supporters in the future." I took that as an offer to compensate me if I would no longer comment on my beliefs about how their product could not work as they claim.
Here is what I e-mailed Scent Lok on May 2, 2007
I love the bold part Good choice Arthur
Old 08-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Germ, ufortunately the photo is posted without any source, so I can't say who made the photo and neither can you. This is just one of several different but similar photos I have seen on the internet but this is the only one I can find still up. I haven't seen a rebuttal, either in photograph or print, from any of the manufacturers to dispute it. If you have a link to such, please post it.

This photo IS on T.R. Michels' web page, but I would expect him to make use of this kind of photo to support his point of view. Also, he discusses the 'bribery attempt' on the same page. I really don't want to jump into the war between Michels and Scent Lok. It's raging along quite nicely without me anyway. But since you brought it up, here's the link to his page.

http://www.trmichels.com/ActivatedCarbonScience.htm

Quick Reply: Do you think Scent Lok is a must?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.