Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you think Scent Lok is a must? >

Do you think Scent Lok is a must?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think Scent Lok is a must?

Old 08-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you think Scent Lok is a must?

I will echo what everyone else is saying RIP OFF!!!!!! Why not buy the $10 scent spray, use odor free deodorant, scent free toothpaste and mints, detergent, put your clothes in a scent free rubbermade after doing those preps and play the wind??? This is much cheaper, and works better than that scentlok stuff IMHO.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nvshooter

Don't want to Hijack the thread, but I have to ask a related question?

If you do not use Carbon clothing, how often do you wash your outermost layer when hunting?

I plan on washing the innermost layers everyday.
For me, it depends on the weather. If ive been sweating a lot, I wash after every hunt. If it has been cold and i have not been sweating much, my jackets, etc. might get washed less often. But im like you, I wash my under clothing every time I come in from the field. I like to keep several pair in my containers, so I can hunt several days in a roll, and simply rotate them.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Dominant Buck

One last thougth on scent controle. Last year I was at one of our many campouts. These campouts arent very hunting friendly because we set around making noise all day and drinking beer. Needless to say, I get reall stinky at campouts. Well after two days of stinking, I decieded to grab a bow and see if I could find a doe. I went out, in leather boots, non the less, and tagged a nice big old doe. Play the wind is the only way to go.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Not a "must".......playingthe wind correctly is a MUST! But in bowhunting it's all about confidence,if you feel more confident spending your hard earned money on a "magic" suit then more power to you. I think by managing your scent with regular hunting clothes and playing the wind correctly you will see more deer and have more shot ops. Keep your scent off the ground on the way to and from your stand and you will see deer all season.................don't waste your money on scent loc.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stuffs junk. Don't buy it.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Scent Lok. But I don't think it's a "must have" item. There are days I go into the woods without it and I still see deer.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Great replies. I always like reading replies that lead you down the road of spending less money. Seems like a lot of the time the latest and greatest is what people are saying (maybe just marketers)you need to have. Nice to hear that good ole skill, and wind direction attention is what mainly gets it done. I have been firearm hunting for many years, and just getting into bowhunting. With firearms, even shotguns, didn't really worry about scent to much. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:55 PM

Indians never used scent-lok and they killed plenty of animals with their stick, string, and homemade arrowheads made of stone.

Myself...I have seen and killed plenty o deer without scent-lok. However, as I grow a bit older and am blessed with an good paying job....I have bought into the scent-lok thing.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Indians never used scent-lok and they killed plenty of animals with their stick, string, and homemade arrowheads made of stone.
No....but don't fool yourself about the indians and scent control/camo. They didn't wear face paint and rub mud on themselves for sport. They knew the mud concealed their scent....and the paint camo'd them.

There a few camps on scent-lok. In one camp you those who have never owned....WILL never own it.....and have no first-hand knowledge with it.....but know enough to tell you it's crap. You have those who don't own it.....will never own it....and wouldn't pay what they're asking for it.....so they, too, will bash it.

Then.....you have guys who think it does.....or even "might" give them an edge. I happen to fall into the category of the latter. I think it "might" give me an edge. I shop around, too.....and I don't pay NEAR full price for it. And...like someone else said....if nothing else...it's quality camo.

I care for it; store it; and use it as a PART of my scent control regimen. it's just a part.

I put it on.....and I go kill deer with it. How can you tell me it doesn't "work"? And....if I paid less than you did for your non-scent-lok camo (hell I heard of a guy paying $600 for a suit, last year that HATES the mention of scent-lok).....who's laughing, now??

I have NEVER understood why people want to bash this stuff. Just don't buy it!
Old 08-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Jeff, It's just another piece of the puzzle.

Quick Reply: Do you think Scent Lok is a must?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.