Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Vs. Bone

Old 08-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rage Vs. Bone

My problem with picking a broadhead is i dont know what will break that shoulder bone if i make a bad shot, So, my question is im shooting Ted Nugent Signature Series Goldtips, with 100 grain heads, 63 lbs Maxed out and 245 fps out of my Hoty Lazer tec, im proll gonna get a pack of the rage broadheads, do yall think in the event of a misplaced shot they will break that shoulder bone??
All help is appreciated... Idk how to figure out my Kenetic Energy ither...
Ryan
Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rage Vs. Bone

i would like to know the answer myself...
Old 08-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing to do is stay away from that shoulder blade. I doubt most broadheads out there are gonna smash thru the shoulder blade on a regular basis. You might get it thru some thin spots, but they are pretty tuff. While butchering a doe one time I found a thunderhead all healed over, buried in her shoulder blade.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

The best thing to do is stay away from that shoulder blade. I doubt most broadheads out there are gonna smash thru the shoulder blade on a regular basis. You might get it thru some thin spots, but they are pretty tuff. While butchering a doe one time I found a thunderhead all healed over, buried in her shoulder blade.

i know a similar story to that right accross the road from where i hunt,

A guy i know was huntin and shot a 10 pointer w/his bow and never foun the deer... the next year another guy shot him with a rifle practically out of his yard! went to church that sunday and gave him his broadhead and said, "this belong to you?" he ended being a 12 with a little change.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

My problem with picking a broadhead is i dont know what will break that shoulder bone if i make a bad shot, - me

See i said if i make a bad shot i know better than to shoot for the shoulder lol. I dont want to have what happened to that guy with the 10 point happen to me is all.
Ryan.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

I dont have any experiance with rage on bone. Today I shot one of my rage heads. I shot them probably 30 times into my block and even missed it once. The head is still perfect I was kinda suprised they seem like a strong broadhead. Oh they also fly exactly like me field points and blew some huge holes through my block.

Die Hard

29 Days!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:49 PM

I just bought a pack of rage 2blade broadheads. From what i heard and again this is just talk the 2blade is stronger than the 3blade. But for pure bone breaking power i would go with something with a trocar tip. Like a muzzy or wasp. My brother put a muzzy three blade through a burn barrle with his mathews switchback.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

MATHEWS catch us if you can

[/align]
Old 08-18-2007, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it has less to do with your broadhead and more to do with the speed/weight of your arrow as well as the size of your deer and exactly where you hit the shoulder.

There are set ups that will get through certain areas of a deer's shoulder, but for the most part its a crap shoot. There again, you know to avoid the shoulder anyway, so its really a 50/50.

It seems to me that you are really just trying to cancel out as many vairables as possible, which is good. Thats why I shoot Montecs, because the variable of what if it breaks, or is it tough enough is out the window... if anything on the tip of an arrow can get through, a Montec would be a safe bet. Thats just what I do. Not trying to sway you away from anything, because I have no vested interest in either. Just sharing what I have done.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the imput, i think im gonna go with those this year, heck i may not even see a deer to use them on.
Ryan.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I shot 3 deer with the Rage 2 blades. 2 of them were quartering away hard and I hit the thin par of the shoulder blade on the far side. Both arrows were complete passthroughs. With that said, I don't think any head is going to consistently pass through the thick ridge on the shoulder blade. Your best bet for that is going to be a cut on contact 2 blade head like the stinger, certainly not a large diameter mechanical.

Quick Reply: Rage Vs. Bone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.