Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 un-killable buck, does he exist? >

un-killable buck, does he exist?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

un-killable buck, does he exist?

Old 08-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Spike

Default RE: un-killable buck, does he exist?

I would bet he got poached, someone would have found that skull and you would have heard about it. There was a monster next to my house who lived in a 93 acre tank farm that was fenced off, he was seen 3 times all after dark, he was easy to tell apart because he was twice the size of any deer I have ever seen, He looked like a horse with antlers.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Site Buck Guru

Yes, unkillable bucks do exist. I believe that in some areas they are never seen by a human.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:24 PM

yes hes the one i shoot at in my back yard...no matter where i hit him!!!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

This is a true story. My grandfather has hunted this buck for the last 4 years. Hes had several occasions where the buck was out of range by 10 or 20 yds. My gpa uses a crossbow because hes somewhat disabled. Anyways he hunts this buck on an island that has become more of a penninsula and this island was logged out. Last year there were a ton of treetops and he had seen this deer elude him for 3 yrs in a row. The buck went into a cluster of treetops and bedded down. My gpa not being very patient person waited about an hour or so and decided to go in after him. Now this man is 68 yrs young, using a crossbow, and he belly crawls about 15 feet into this huge brush pile. He is only 10 to 15 feet from the deerthat is bedding and he says that they looked eachother in the eyes for about 30 mins. He tried to get a good shot but the brush was too thick and after deciding to give up on getting a shot he sets his crossbow down, and just stares at the deer. After that day he started hunting different bucks and never chased this one again. He never said why but I think that both the deer and my gpa earned a little respect from one another. Its still unbelievable to me, this man raised animals to butcher for food and showed no emotion when something he raised was used as a source of food. But he pretty much spiritually bonded with a wild animal. It sounds like a corny story youd see on Womens Entertainment or Oxygen or something but Its honest to god true. Even though I wasnt there to witness this whole encounter, just the way my gpas voice sounds when he tells the story. Ive earned a new respect for my grandfather as well, hes not the cold hearted person I thought he once was as a child when hed name his hogs "pork chop" and cows "t-bone".
Just thought Id share this heart-warming story with you all.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

JM...that is one MONSTER buck...has anyone ever found his sheds and had them scored?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bassfisherman711

JM...that is one MONSTER buck...has anyone ever found his sheds and had them scored?
I look every year, haven't found a one. Don't know of anyone that has either. He has a secret place I haven't found yet.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

ORIGINAL: bassfisherman711

I look every year, haven't found a one. Don't know of anyone that has either. He has a secret place I haven't found yet.
I hope he is still out there and one day you can get him. He is a monster mature buck and didn't get that way by not being cautious. I know some guys on here dismiss the idea of such smart bucks, but they know where the pressure is and isn't.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

My friends and i have video taped big deer year after year but when it comes to hunting season the crops come down and its hard to get them to hang around. we watched one deerfor 5 years but in the summer he would move in daylight ours so in the fall he would move at the same time but by then the sun was setting sooner. our only real good chance when we've seen big buck is the almighty rutwhen anything can happen.if you could hunt anywhere you want no buck is unkillable.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Dominant Buck

'05...Oct....Been watching 4 bucks work a scrape and a 1.5 yr old chase every doe around out of the field. Exhausted.....I sit down and hang up my bow. Next thing I know.....it's 10:15....and I hear steps. Beofre I could do anything.....hetrots right under my stand and I don't even have time to reach for my bow. Never get a shot off.

'06.....9/12.....I had him come right underneath me again.....and absolutely thrash an old overhanging limb (the same scrape I had been sitting over....I was now in THAT tree). He steps out at about 12 yds.....and I shoot and only clip him. First buck I'd ever shot at....and I was shook. I don't see him again until the day after Thanksgiving. What a relief. He's fine. I had my eye on another buck that evening.....and he trotted in from behind me and stood directly below me at about 2-3 yds. I didn't take the shot. I thought he deserved better than a shot at that angle. I was also trying to be patient.....thinking he'd offer me a better shot. He walked directly underneath my tree........smelled where I'd put my gear down (I'd left my release at home....left my stuff.....went back and got my release...)......and looked straight up. I was looking at him through the slats of my climber platform. He dropped his head and walked directly away from me.....never offering me a shot.

'06.....last day of the season.....he comes across a pasture.....crawls under the fence.....and strolls by like he hasn't a care in the world. I never reach for the bow. I don't have a buck tag left.

He's been at 0 yds from me on 3 occasions.....and he still walks. He;s still alive. I saw his photo a week or two ago.

He's definitely not unkillable. I don't believe that. He just has a knack for not getting killed around me. I'm the amateur.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I failed on a buck for 2 seasons and finally got him on the third. There have been manyI have set up on, didn't get, and never seen them again. For me there have been unkillable bucks.
Do you think those bucks truly outwitted you, or was it due to bad luck? I have hunted a few deer that have just seemed to have a sixth sense. It's like they know you are there. I'm not talking about a 2 year old deer, but a mature wise buck who has been hunted and is very cautious. Even by staying scent free, arriving at my stand 2 hours before light, staying silent etc..

Yes he outwitted me. I could almost here him laughing whenI got to my truck. "See ya tomorrow Motowndumbazz." When I see how much a mature buck and doe thinks just to stay alive it makes it harder for me to kill them as the years go by. Watching them play with each other, and looking up into tree stands from 50 yards away before entering an area. Seeing young ones come up when momma is down and not leave her. This deer we hunt is a thinker. Each of us shouldonly kill them in the most humain,and ethical way possible. We owe them that.

Quick Reply: un-killable buck, does he exist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.