Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 un-killable buck, does he exist? >

un-killable buck, does he exist?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

un-killable buck, does he exist?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default un-killable buck, does he exist?

Have you ever hunted one particular deer that has outwitted you time and time again? Maybe it has gone on for seasons without you being able to get him no matter what you try. I just wonder if such a deer exists?

In short, we are talking about an "almost" unkillable deer. Now, please don't rip me saying that they aren't that smart etc.. just curious if anyone has had an experience like this.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Default RE: un-killable buck, does he exist?

They all live on public land...

But seriously, I think very, very, few, if any, would fall into a truely unkillable category. Which is not to say that some aren't extremely difficult, but the right time and/or place could get most with alot of hard work and maybe a little luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Who knows no one has seen one
Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I failed on a buck for 2 seasons and finally got him on the third. There have been manyI have set up on, didn't get, and never seen them again. For me there have been unkillable bucks.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I failed on a buck for 2 seasons and finally got him on the third. There have been manyI have set up on, didn't get, and never seen them again. For me there have been unkillable bucks.
Do you think those bucks truly outwitted you, or was it due to bad luck? I have hunted a few deer that have just seemed to have a sixth sense. It's like they know you are there. I'm not talking about a 2 year old deer, but a mature wise buck who has been hunted and is very cautious. Even by staying scent free, arriving at my stand 2 hours before light, staying silent etc..
Old 08-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have this kindof deer on a nearby property. It's a suburban setting nestled next to a Blimp Hangar. Someone has permission to hunt all of it but it is bow only. I have only personally seen him once - while post season scouting. He has been seen twice by local residents driving their cars in the early, early morning (supposedly). For this buck, he is just not visible very often. I think he is not just not nocturnal but completely 'reversed-out' on his schedule - in other words he eats, breeds and moves between 12-5 AM. His rack size is a 1 in 1,000 chance for this area and if he had been shot, I would have heard through the grapevine. He is old: >4 years and he probably has sanctuary insomeone's flower garden. To shoot this kind of deerunguided, fair chase with a bow is comparable (IMO) to climbing Mt Everest or swimming the English Channel.

You need some luck to get it done but hard work is essential too.

It also doesn't help that I can't resist killing does...
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Which one lol I dont think they are un killable just very smart and nocturnal, never have seen him during season. The rut does wonderful things for us hunters.

Die Hard

29 Days!
Old 08-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

I have this kindof deer on a nearby property. It's a suburban setting nestled next to a Blimp Hangar. Someone has permission to hunt all of it but it is bow only. I have only personally seen him once - while post season scouting. He has been seen twice by local residents driving their cars in the early, early morning (supposedly). For this buck, he is just not visible very often. I think he is not just not nocturnal but completely 'reversed-out' on his schedule - in other words he eats, breeds and moves between 12-5 AM. His rack size is a 1 in 1,000 chance for this area and if he had been shot, I would have heard through the grapevine. He is old: >4 years and he probably has sanctuary insomeone's flower garden. To shoot this kind of deerunguided, fair chase with a bow is comparable (IMO) to climbing Mt Everest or swimming the English Channel.

You need some luck to get it done but hard work is essential too.

It also doesn't help that I can't resist killing does...
Exactly what I was looking for. I hope you get him too. I have had several other friends tell me of deer that are just so paranoid (and for good reason that it is crazy difficult to kill these deer. I'm just wondering how many of these big bucks make it out and die of old age??
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

This one was unkillable in my subdivision. The only time anyone ever saw him was after dark. And he had a 600 acre NO HUNTING County Park to live in during the daytime.I saw him 4 times in person over 2 years,from 10:30 pm-5:00 am. This picture was taken 50 yards behind my house at 4:53 am. I think he died of old age, because I never heard of anyone getting him, and he hasn't been seen in 2 1/2 years.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 PM

I guess I assumed we were talking about bucks that a hunter had at least reasonable access to. There are definitely bucks that live in locations that have very limited hunter access that may be for all practical purposes unkillable. Bucks that live on large tracts of unhunted private property that have little reason to leave, or suburban developments with a very small portion of the total area that can be hunted, or some public areas that have very limited time slots.

I suppose I was thinking of buckswhere a hunter had access to at least a decent portion of his home range, and a decent amount of time to work him very carefully. There have been bucks that were unkillable for me, but that is not to say someone else could not succeed where I failed.

Quick Reply: un-killable buck, does he exist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.