Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Feathers and BH's >

Feathers and BH's

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feathers and BH's

Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Feathers and BH's

It's my understanding (And the technical/bow/arrow side of this sport .....I'm CLUELESS!) that feathers are really good at stabilizing your arrow in short range situations.

Q - 1: What is the distance where you come to a point of diminsihing returns?

Q - 2: Since buying my Trad bow ()...I've noticed feathers aren't real duarble (no REAL issues....but they're just NOT as durable as vanes). Do you guys who shoot feathers for BH's have issues with them out of really ast bows?

I'll think of more.....lol
Old 08-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Feathers and BH's

Feathers are one of the very best at stabilizing broadheads because of wind drag, one thing you found as have I in the past and the reason I quit using feathers is durability, however, a feather missing part of it's fletch is still better than a vane missing part of it. Feathers can be very messed up and still be perfect for arrow flight etc....a great choice especially when one fletches their own however costly for those who want good arrow looks and has the shop refletch them.

As far as a recurve, Jeff you won't be shooting far enough to see diminishing returnes and I doubt with your fast setup with your Allegiance either. I know when I shot feathers I shot 3D out to 60 yards and feathers were not an issue.

I simply like Blazers now, I get all the good and none of the bad.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:02 AM

Jeff I shoot feathers out of my compound and my recurve, and yes they are not as durable as vanes. But as far as stabilization goes they are the best option in short range situations IMHO. You can read more about the effects feathers have on arrows on www.gatewayfeathers.com/and www.trueflightfeathers.com/. Both websites have good info on them.

As far as the distance vanes and feathers even out it is out past 30yds where vanes catch up with feathers, due to the point feathers create more drag and slow the arrow down some. But almost immediately out of a bow feathers start the arrow spinning while with vanes they start spinning much farther down range.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I blow mine through a biscuit at 360+, and haven't had one so much as fall off yet. I hit one pretty hard, and knocked off a big chunk, but that's the extent of the damage... Been shooting the same 3 arrows since I got the bow. Probably closing in on 1000 shots or so.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure what you mean by diminishing returns. My arrows, with four 4" feathers shoot fine out to 50 yds. Actually the longer distance gives the fletch even more time to control the arrow. So distance would work in favor of a small vane. With feathers distance does not appear to have any diminishing returns. I shot blazers and feathers at 50 yds and there was only a 1-3FPS difference. But then I am using a heavy arrow that leaves my bow at 233FPS.

Featehrs won't be quite as durable as plastic vanes but I don't really shoot groups with more than 3 arrows anymore so my feathers hold up pretty well.

If you use tape to fletch your feathers then removing and re-fletching is fairly easy with no real clean up of the shaft. I just wipe it down real well with denatured alcohol.

I have zero issues shooting broadheads with feathers. Maybe my bow doesn't qualify as really fast (IBO rating 307 or so) but no issues.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

What kind of feathers, Quick? ...PA?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

..........however, a feather missing part of it's fletch is still better than a vane missing part of it. Feathers can be very messed up and still be perfect for arrow flight etc....
This is an excellent point that does not get brought up enough when comparing fletchings.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gateway 4". But the next feathers I get - I'm gonna try the new Rayzr feathers. Same cut as a Blazer, higher profile, but shorter length.

If you shoot too big a feather (like the ones below), you will rip them up a lot faster.

Here's the gateway that I use. 4". (I got some really gay hot pink ones for the new shafts)

Old 08-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Here's the gateway that I use. 4". (I got some really gay hot pink ones for the new shafts)

Cool feathers! I am using the red camo.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I can't see YOUR feathers pic, Fran.

Also...."diinishing returns".....doesn't the benefit of the blazer take over at about 30 yds? That's what I've heard. From 30yds out....the blazer will outperform the feathers.

Quick Reply: Feathers and BH's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.