Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Range finder for poor hunters >

Range finder for poor hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range finder for poor hunters

Old 08-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Range finder for poor hunters

I really want to get a rangefinder, problem is at this juncture in my life, I can't afford to drop a couple hundred$ to get a nice one.

Anyone know of any good accurate range finders for under $100, preferable closer to $50? Or is this a case of you get what you pay for?

I've looked at some golf range finders, but I don't think they would work since they rely on the Pin as a known height from which to base the range. I'm not picky at all (can't afford to be) and I'd jump for a good used one in this range if anyone knows were a guy could find one that works!

Or am I better off using my eyes and instincts for now until I can afford a proper range finder?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Range finder for poor hunters

Perhaps e-bay? But honestly you could just step off a few distances and place a marker thats visible from your stand..
Old 08-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure where your hunting but in the area I hunt I have all the yardages mark out. I have a 30 yard rope and I mark any tree that I can at certain ranges. I know this might not always be possible in places that lack terrain.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

This is fairly cheap!

Seriously.....just step your area off and put up flagging tape.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 AM

I hunt in a woods so lots of terrain to mark off. I've hunted the same area for the past 2 years, so I know those distances, but I hunt public land so if someone is in my spot before me, I'll be forced to go elsewhere where I don't know ranges.

I like the idea of the rope marked off at different distances.

I've looked on e-bay but most of the range finders in my price range have very vague descriptions, probably intentionally so with little mention of their accuracy and ease of use.

That or they're golf range finders. I definitely don't need a golf range finder, my golf game is so horrible I can't hit it to an specific yardage range even if I know where I want it to go! Thank God I'm 1,000x more accurate hunting than golfing!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

What's your price range?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Perhaps e-bay? But honestly you could just step off a few distances and place a marker thats visible from your stand..
^^^what he said. I honestly dont think that most of today's younger hunters would have survived 10 years ago.

Back on subject, I've played with Nikon range finders before and they worked fine for me. But I'm not about to go buy one, just because i don't like to carry a bunch of stuff through the woods with me.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM

Hmmmm.........I can't remember the name of it, but I believe I saw a sight recently that has a "built in" rangefinder......If my memory serves correctly, it had a fixed point that was placed on the belly of the deer and the pins are above that.......Wish I could remember what that is.....
Old 08-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually use my scent markers(scent bombs) or orange ribbon to mark off my yardages.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: djschuett

I really want to get a rangefinder, problem is at this juncture in my life, I can't afford to drop a couple hundred$ to get a nice one.

Anyone know of any good accurate range finders for under $100, preferable closer to $50? Or is this a case of you get what you pay for?
All you need is a tape measure, calculator, and surveying tape.

Go to your stand and drive a nail through the end of the tape (a long roll tapethat is) and walk to a place where deer will often come past in the fall (like a trail). Look at the tape, take the distance in feet. Use that number in the calc... divide by three... wallah!

Seriously, I use this method myself. My range finder fizzled out on me. I had a cheap one myself. Yes, you do get what you pay for. But I only use my rangefinder for practice and to place yardage markers pre season.

I use the survey tape to mark 10, 20 and 30 yards from the tree. Farther or closer if applicable. That way, I don't have to fool with a rangefinder when I'macctually hunting. One less thing to break or lose, oneless thing tomess with instead of shooting a deer.

Quick Reply: Range finder for poor hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.