Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Tuning

Old 08-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Spike

Default Bow Tuning

How often do you guys tune your bows? Every 500 shots or more or less? Also do you do it yourself or take it to a pro shop?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM

Default RE: Bow Tuning

i do most at home if i cant get it the way i want it i take it to the bow shop
Old 08-09-2007, 06:41 PM

i shoot a lot so i have mine tuned 2 a year always in thewinter when no one is bothering the techs and a month or 2 before deer season........
Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Not to piggy back on someone else's thread...but I've got tuning issues also.

I've had my bow for two years now and it has not been tuned or adjusted sinceI bought it. After adding and changing accessories, I am having trouble with the tuning and timing. I must admit that having only been involved with bowhunting a few years, I am not as knowledgeable as I would like yet. If I was to take my bow to the pro shop what would their tuning process involve? And ball park figure of what I should expect for acost? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 PM

I tune mine once and don't mess with it unless something comes loose or I change something. If you get your bow tuned right, and suddenly you aren't shooting as you were, 98% of the time it is operator error. So there's no need to tune and retune unless something comes loose, breaks, or I change.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 PM

tuning process involves checking the specs on the bow :

axle to axle length , tiller, brace height

then checking if you cams are in tune and wear on the cams

then see if you have cam or idler lean oil shafts for axles

see if center shot is right

paper tune bow to see if arrow is flying true

see if cable and string are not worn if so replacing and doing all of above

making sure limbs are not cracked or twisted

this should cost anywhere from 50- 75 dollars ave.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

I always have mine tuned in the off season every year by the dealer I bought my bow from...I do the little things as I know how and have set up many bows for other hunters but my best advice is unless you have the proper equipment to do it take it to a pro shop that you trust...I also shoot year around and shoot alot at the bow shop were I bought it so I will talk to them and let them look at my bow and they will tell me what and when things NEED to be done and when.. You can tell more than they can just by shooting and such...If it gets a little more vibration or noise increase or the string is a little longer than it normally is and etc. etc..

pyclub1
Old 08-10-2007, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the help Jam.

Here's my issue then...I have a serious tinkering issue. I was shooting good groups with the bow @53#. Well without thinking one day I just moved the alphashox on the limbs, of course there goes the good groups. Then I was given a gift from Cabela's, a Cobra Sidewinder 3-axis sight. (yay!) so I figured I was already wanting to up the draw weight, I might as well crank it up, reset the shox,and add the new sight all at once. The problem is I just don't have the experience to fine tune apparently. Now the bow is making a POP when I shoot. I can tell that one limb is obviously out of sync with the other, but for the life of me I cant fix it. I was already thinking of having it tuned at the pro shop, then I read this thread and it more or less convinced me to do so.

So before I go, is there any other advice/recommendations for me? ...other than to leave good enough alone?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot a Mathews'! So.....Never!! lol.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Once I make sure every new bow I get is properly tuned, I do one simple thing to help me keep track of it's current tune. Use a fine point paint marker and make a mark on each cam right beside the limb. Every once in awhile check the marks. If they have moved, something has happened, stretched or something. Sometimes it is as simple as putting the bow on a press and putting one or two twists in the string or cable to get it back where it ought to be. If it has moved a lot, I take it to the Pro Shop. Hope this helps.