Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stop him first or not? >

Stop him first or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stop him first or not?

Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stop him first or not?

At 10-20, I wouldn't stop the deer. Beyond that distance, and only after I was at full draw, i'd probably make a light bleet to see if the deer stopped. You have to be careful to not be so loud that the deer pinpoints you, yet stops just to check what the noise was.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

last year i stopped a buck that was trotting. he was 18 or 22yds i cant recall. settled the top pin about the top of his heart...he hit my lane, i said BAH! the second he froze the arrow was loose. he ducked. hit high above the spine. poor penetration so im guessing backbone.

i felt that there was nothing i could/would do differently if given that shot again. i think he was actually jumped by my buddies that were squirrel hunting on the next farm over...(good 1/4 mile) which if i had known, i would never stopped him and shot at him. he was already alert and in danger mode. stopping him was a bad choice on my part i think. just the reaction of him. at the time i was set on firing the second he froze...which i did. but everytime i replay it i see his head swinging my way...looking right at me. i shouldnt have fired. it was my first year. i didnt know any different. i never heard of deer ducking before. i would have laughed if you told me that was possible before. thats roughly 1/4 of a second and he dropped what...6-8 inches...crazy....

definently taught me a lesson. im with GMMAT...its only a deer. theres lots more out there...and if you dont wound or miss him, chances are he may come back....definently going to be more selective of my shots now that i learned the hard way. i thought scent hanging would help and stop them...i had trails end hung and that evening i had 2 does come through twice and him come through behind them the second time...none seemed to care...which leads me to believe my friends jumped them squirrel hunting...and no...i didnt ask them to drive deer for me. they were just out squirrel hunting.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stop him/her when that front leg is forward and release. better to shoot a standing deer than a moving deer.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer not to shoot moving deer and have stopped many deer without issue. I did spine shoot a doe that I had stopped at 12 yards when she tried to jump the string. I guess if a deer is close and moving very slowly with its head down browsing it would be better to not put it on alert. A deer browsing stops and pauses as it walks anyway, so it should be just like shooting a stopped deer.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will release on a casual deer, the only time im going to make a noise to stop a deer is if its ona mission to get somewhere quick.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If a deer is moving as slowly as you stated, then I would not stop them for any shot at or under 30 yards. Much beyond that and I would try to get them to stop.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

I would take the shot if the deer was within 20 yards after that their starts to be to much time for error. Deer could jump the string or take a couple steps in the time you release to the time of impact. Anything after 20 yards I will stop them while I am at full draw and then give it to them. Had one deer jump the string once at 30 yards and luckily I got the artery that is up by the spine that runs the length of the deer. Bow limb hit the tree limb upon release and the deer didnt like that noise I was taking a shot behind my stand.