Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stop him first or not? >

Stop him first or not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stop him first or not?

Old 08-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stop him first or not?

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

If he was fairly close, say around 20 yds he would not know I was there to the arrow hit the spot. If hewas farther out it is hard to saydepends on the circumstances.
So are you saying that at 20 you'd stop him because he can't jump the string at that distance?
I would take the shot with out bothering him, beyond that it would depend can not really say, shot one about 5 years ago at a steady walk trailing a doe, he was about 15 yds out. hit good he ran about 100 yds.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always stop them. At my second pin...30 yardsor more I always aim a bit low to compensate for him gathering in reaction to the sound of your bow going off... he has time at 30 or more to really gather before your arrow gets there.. speed of sound versus your bow speed..
Old 08-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't care if hes a foot or a mile, I'm stopping him, or at least waiting for him to stop on his own.

I'll take my chances with jump. I cannot help what the deer is going to do, but I can help when I do or do not release that arrow. I don't have any way of practicing moving shots, nay have I ever taken one. So for me.... I'd rather have a good solid shot, and a still target, than a so-so shot at a moving one.

Not to mention that every deer I have ever had react to my shot (which has only been about 5 of the near 50 I have taken) has been calm and relaxed, and just stopped on their own. One was feeding.... got spined.

When I stop a deer, I make a quick sucking noise like a squirrel barking... I'm usually letting go as soon as the deer stops.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am not alerting any deer to my presence if it isn't absolutely necessary.

I have shot a small deer at 34 yards walking broadside and made a clean hit.You just put your pin on the spot you want to hit and keep it there by turning your hips with the animal.(don't try and time the spot of release.)

Deer are more likely to jump a string inside 20 yards than they are outside of 30.If they took off running everytime they heard a noiseoutside 30 yards,they would always be running.A bow makes alot of noise to a deer when fired withing 20 yards.It is the boo factor as many call it.If I jump out from across the street and yell boo,you will just look at me funny but if I jump from a few feet away from behind some bushes,you will react much differently.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I am not alerting any deer to my presence if it isn't absolutely necessary.

I have shot a small deer at 34 yards walking broadside and made a clean hit.You just put your pin on the spot you want to hit and keep it there by turning your hips with the animal.(don't try and time the spot of release.)

Deer are more likely to jump a string inside 20 yards than they are outside of 30.If they took off running everytime they heard a noiseoutside 30 yards,they would always be running.A bow makes alot of noise to a deer when fired withing 20 yards.It is the boo factor as many call it.If I jump out from across the street and yell boo,you will just look at me funny but if I jump from a few feet away from behind some bushes,you will react much differently.

never heard that before, but excellent analogy, it only makes sense.

i think ill take a slow walking animal, if its close and i feel confident i will smoke em, otherwise im waitin for him to stop on his own.

as a last resort ill make a subtle sound to get a shot opportunity.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 PM

I would say take the shot, but only if it meets the following criteria:
1-you are honest with yourself and know you are shooting within your limits, and you can make the shot.
2-the deer is moving extremely slow (I.e. If it slows down any more it is stopped).
3-it doesn't seem spooked or fidgety already.

My thought process on this is that if you stop him with a grunt, whistle, etc. This will peak his senses and is more likely to bolt, "jump the string" or whatever. If the deer is calmly grazing and seems relaxed, then make a judgment call, but definitely follow my first thought. (I'm not saying this is a 100% accurate thought, personal experiences will be on both sides of the fence on this issue. Just my opinion here.)

If anyone has more requirements before the shot, please expand on this.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot many animals with bow while they were moving...BUT the situation is key...Be sure of your distance and make sure the animal is not jumpy, I too believe the closer the better for a moving animal..As far as that goes it goes with any weapon of choise the closer the better chance for a quick human kill....
Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usually don't stop a walking buck. Like mentioned just keep the bow moving with the deers pace. Now if he is on a mission going somewhere than I will stop him (her). Just casual browsing no need. IMHO
Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

That's about a foot and a third a second. Don't know if a whitetail can do that in slo-mo......but....

At 10 yds or less....I'll take my chances on a calm deer. I don't think htis is far-fetched, unethical or anything other than shooting a REALLY slow moving deer.

I, too, would caution people about taking moving shots (how do you practice)....but AS STATED......yeah....I'd shoot (at the distance I state).
Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

18 yrds on a walking doe last year. She ran 30 yards. I felt confident with the shot and knew I could make it. Squirrels are a lot harder to hit though.

Quick Reply: Stop him first or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.