Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To shoot a fawn? >

To shoot a fawn?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To shoot a fawn?

Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To shoot a fawn?

Yes,any of them! The CWD zone is for population reduction(even though baiting is still illegal). Two years ago earn a buck started Oct 17. I let a fawn in spots pass 2 weeks earlier(just couldn't do it) and of course on the day earn a buck started I had no buck tag and along comes bullwinkle/buckzilla and I had to watch him walk on by. I told myself never again.
Luckily I already have a buck tag coming for this year since I pre-qualified last year with a doe.
Fraley, if you shot a doe last year and did not get a buck you will be getting a buck tag in the mail soon!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Bartender

No I didnt shoot a doe last year.
But 2 years ago I shot 2, 15 minutes apart and didnt need a sticker for last year.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don`t think i would change anything that you have done before other than Maby take the mom? depending on how old the fawns are i guess? No way would i take the fawn it could be your next 150class 10pt?(imo)
Last year I let pass a mom and 2 fawns opening day. Actually the last 3 years this has happen
Just wondering?Did it cost you a buck in the past by letting them walk?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, only last season pre-qualifies you since there was no earna buck. Good luck this year, do whatever you feel comfortable with to get the tag. If you do pop a fawn don't let the lady see it! Hide it under your coat!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FRALEY

Would you shoot the doe having 2 fawns around?
Me personally, No...BUT I've never had to hunt in earn-a-buck.

My cousin in Wisconsin..Got stuck watching nice bucks 2 years ago,cuz he hadn't "earned" his buck tag yet.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get those fawn backstraps! I don't value one deer's life more than any others. I don't care if I shoot a spotted fawn 1 day and a 200 inch the next day. Im equally proud of them. Thats the way I was raised into hunting. Don't worry about being politically correct to make someone else happy. Lifes too short.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

No, I would not shoot a fawn or a doe with fawns. I would shoot a lone doe. The same holds true for bear. A cub no, a sow with cubs no. That is my vote.

Reid
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea i would if i had a large population. now if i was only seeing two or three deer a hunt as opposed to 40 to 50 then no i wouldnt.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd take out the mother. It's more meat, and the fawns should be plenty old enough by now to survive on their own.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why would anyone shoot a small fawn is beyond me , I mean why would you waste a kill tag and your time to gut it out , take it home then butcher or pay to have it butchered for only thirty five to forty pounds of meat.

Quick Reply: To shoot a fawn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.