Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why....

Old 08-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why....

I stopped hunting after I got married and then started back up because a friend of mine loved to bow hunt. He got me back into hunting and eventually into bow hunting in 1998. I love the outdoors....there is nothing better than watching the woods come alive in the morning. What a great feeling.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started hunting with my boyfriend after my dad refused to take me for 3 years. But aftermy dadseen that I could actually hunt, endure the cold, and sit for long periods of time........me and him have been hunting ever since.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

My sister and brother-in-law deer hunted and promised my son they'd take him when he was old enough to sit in the stand and handle a weapon safely. Nearly all the meat they eat they kill, and my son was looking forward to it with about as much excitement as any 6 year old could. My brother-in-law died in a car accident, ironically, when a deer ran in front of him and he ran over it on Sept. 1 of 2006. I decided since we live in the country and have deer all around us we'd invest in stuff and learn so he could experience it. I didn't want my sister to have to focus on him rather than deer. Thanksgiving was our first day actually sitting in the woods. Plus, I'd wanted to turkey hunt anyway. I only saw two deer last season, but we did kill a turkey.

For two people that knew absolutely nothing, we've learned quite a bit in the past year. I think we both enjoyed turkey hunting more than deer hunting and saw it as more of a challenge. Being the kind of person I am, I look for the greatest challenge anyway so Sept. 1st we'll be in the woods with the bow ready to try and get one. It'd pay a nice homage to my brother-in-law to take one a year to the day he died, especially since he loved deer and deer hunting just about as much as anyone can.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 PM

I started squirrel hunting with my dad when I was 5 or so. I have some realyl good memories of those days.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

No one I know of in my fmily has ever killed an animal, besides me. No grandparents.....no parent.....no older sibling. My folks got me a BB gun when I was young....then a .22.....then a .410 Shotgun.......and I went from there.

Strictly small game and upland birds until I got into duck hunting in the 90's. Loved the dog training aspect of that as much as the hunting.....having trained a master hunter.

Picked up a bow in '05....hunted almost 2 seasons with that.....and just bought a longbow, last week.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:57 AM
Bartender

Started with BB gun and birds then step dad I went with him in Colorado and just had too from there.
Moved to IL with father and started back up the tradition in Northern Wi. Now I live in Wi where I belong.
Before I got married told the wife 2 things, play 12" softball until im 40.Also told her I am gone every thanksgiving week for hunting in WI and this wont change.Ive spent 1 thanksgiving with her back in 2000 because I came back to get my son but he changed his mind at the time. So with all this being said its hunting, tradition, outdoors, and just plain getting away for me.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 AM

My grandfather started taking me Deer hunting at the age of 7 and I hunted every year with him till about 15 then I went out on my own. He would really get into the nature and history of hunting and of the land. I fell in love and have been deer hunting for 24 yrs. and bowhunting for 14 yrs. I will pass this great thing my grandfather showed me on to every youngster I have the chance too!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:20 AM

It always was a dream for me to go out and start hunting. I was 5 years old when I first learned about it from my Grandpa and Uncles. My dad didn't hunt unlike all the other guys on my moms side. It just kind of grew on me I guess you could say. As years went by to keep my mind off of not being able to goI started drawing. Ever since then I've drawn deer and other animals and now I hunt too.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

My dad (who wasn't a big hunter) gave me my first gun (an HK single shot 410 which I still have) when I was 8 or 9. I took my first squirrel our first time out and I was hooked. We bought a bird dog and a Ted Williams 12 ga from Sears for my 13th birthday. We also aquired a nice double barreled 16 gauge later on that we used for squirrel and deer (never shot one). Later on I joined the USAF and was stationed at Eglin AFB in FL. The guys I hunted with started hunting anything towards the end of the season. I didn't like that so I switched over to bow back in about 1985. Mainly because of the longer hunting season and I could take anything...legally. I bow hunted off and on since then....never getting anything until 2 years ago when I finally stuck a bear. The main reason I continue to bow hunt is the challenge and the chance to get out and enjoy God's great beauty. To me it takes a real hunter to be able to get an animal within bow range. Anybody can shoot them at 500 yards... No...I'm not bad mouthing gun hunters...I have a 30-06 that I use to hunt with as well. But I don't have to be quiet, scent free, disquised, etc....

Reid
Old 08-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started hunting cuz.. I liked the way antlers looked on deer...and thought "man that'd look cool on the wall"

[:-]