Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk hunters??

Old 08-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Elk hunters??

Any idea what the success rate is if one was to just load up and go elk hunting on public land? I mean if you look at a topo map, know how to call elk and the basics. Is it really possible to kill a nice bull elk this way?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:30 PM

Default RE: Elk hunters??

It's definently possible. I wouldn't limit yourself though.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

This question would probably be better posed on the "big game forum"

If you're total newbie to elk, bowhunting, without the personal assistance of a more seasoned elk hunter. Off the top of my head,I'd give ya 1 in 3 of even seeing any elk, 1 in 10 at killing and recovering any elk, 1 in 15 a decent bull, 1 in 20 on a "good bull" for the area. different areas are going to help/hurt with sucess rate. JMHO.

This scenario is based on you taking one trip of indeterminable length to "the west" and then coming back. A newbie that moves to the west has a better chance throughout an entire season. If you're thinking about it, post questons on the "big game" forum. get a lot of good info and may find someone willing to let you tag along. Good Luck
Old 08-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it is around 27% success rate. If it is your first time it will probably be lower. However if you can find the elk it is very easy to call them in during the rut. Just don't let them smell you!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

whitetail expert,

let me tell you something! If you set your mind to it and do your homework you can have a decent chance at a nice bull. I researched every bit of information I could find last year, drove out to Colorado, packed in and hunted a wilderness area, called in a 5x5 bull on the 2nd day, and due to the excitment of the situation, I muffed the shot on that bull standing broadside at 20 yards! IT CAN BE DONE! Just don't let "bull" fever take hold. But, in retrospect, I learned alot and am going back in 4 weeks. There is a wealth of information on the internet if you're willing to spend some time researching. The most important thing is get in shape! Go for it!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you were to do a trip like this, I would say your success rate would be 100%. Oh yeah, you might kill an elk too!

Here's a little tip... don't build barriers before you get here. Do your homework...measure yoursuccess by the amount of fun you have and the good fortune you were given to make a trip of this nature. An elk is the icing on the cake...