Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stan Potts...

Old 08-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stan Potts...

I don't think that deserves loss of respect! Have you never done anything stupid in the heat of the moment. Cut the guy some slack he is human.
That is not a fair question. This guy is suppose to be a 'professional'. Professionals don't do $hit like that.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I totally agree with youtotally Washington Hunter but I still don't think that deserves loss of respect.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree with youtotally Washington Hunter but I still don't think that deserves loss of respect.
Well he surely shouldn't have been praised.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bucky10

I don't think that deserves loss of respect! Have you never done anything stupid in the heat of the moment. Cut the guy some slack he is human.
Agreed. I still have the VHS that hunt was originally on and he knew he had took a bad shot. But he was smart and got out of there and recovered the deer later. Celebrity or not, everyone screws up. You start judging people on their mistakes rather than the good they do you are messing up. Honestly, let he has not screwed up cast the first stone.
Thinkof your worst mistake hunting, now imagine it had been recorded and posted on this site and everywhere else andthat mistake is all people talked about when your name came up.

I've watched that hunt and that shot probably 100 times. The way it unfolded, I probably would have messed that one up as well. Just being honest.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

This guy has probably made more great ethical shots on deer than anyone on here. Just because his was publicised(SP?) and yours was not, you lose respect for him? Come on, who wants to watch the perfect (edited) kill shots over and over again anyway. I happen to like it when they don't cut the mistakes. Might actually help someone know what to do in that situation if they make a bad shot. So what if the anti's see it. They see a heck of a lot that we never do.

LT
Old 08-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how true this is but here is a story I heard about Stan.

A guy that hunts on the same property I do relayed this story to me.

He went on a hunt in Pike Co. Ill. last year during bow season.

The only time I see this guy is when he happens to be hunting there. I talked to him in the early part of PA's archery season. He was all stoked for his hunt coming up in Pike Co.

I met up with him later in Nov. during our rifle season and ask how his hunt went. He connected on a nice buck ( I forget how big) and seen many nice ones.

He said that Stan Potts was in that camp and he got to meet him.They were filming his hunt. He said that Stan was a nice guy but that "they fake stuff on them videos"

I ask what he meant.

He said that Stan got a nice buck but made a bad hit on it. They found it floating in a pond. (Apparently this was talked about in the camp) They dragged the deer out of the pond and layed it against a fence line and filmed the recovery there.

This guy,I talked to, said he lost a lot of respect for Stan. He didn't think he would do that.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cant knock the guy, cause he does kill big deer. Slightly annoying to say the least. Deffinetly over uses the saying "HE IS JUST A GIANT". It bothers me not knowing for sure if he is looking at you with that crazy eye or not, weirds me out just a bit. Although that could be one of his secret weapons, being able to look in different directions at the same time. I dont think people should judge him for taking a so called bad shot. In my opinion if you practice enough and are confident you can make the shot then take it. Quartering to or facing shots arent the best but you can kill a deer just as efficiently with that shot as a broadside shot. Its deffinetly not as easy or as high of a percentage shot but it still works.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Nobody is perfect. I think he is entertaining to watch, at least he shows some emotion. There is nothingI hate more than for some TV show host killa buck of a lifetime and show no excitementand plug their sponsors product. That shows no respect for that animal.

A HUNTER’S PRAYER
(to the slain animal’s spirit)

Life is a circle. At first, we do not exist in this world. Then we are born, grow, and thus live. Then after a while, when we must relinquish our existence in this world, the circle is complete. Some circles are very small, others much larger. We do not much control where the circle starts or ends. But within this circle, we are players whose performance is a balance of conscious and unconscious choices; influences from that which is imprinted within our species and that which is imposed from without..

As such, I have not chosen to be predator any more than you have chosen to be prey. The circle of life demands that there be both. I accept that as predator, I have the awesome responsibility of being swift and sure, for carelessness may cause you suffering, and that I cannot bear. Yet, because I am sometimes less than I can be, I will cause suffering. May I be thus judged by the sincerity of my intentions, and the purity of my heart, and when it is deserved, may I be forgiven.

I celebrate the way you lived, I wish I could live my life as well. Your courage and love of life was not a minor thing. Therefore, it is now with both sorrow and reverence that I now thank you Mr. <animal species>, for giving your life, and I honor your life by pledging that through your death will come sustenance for renewed life.

Now that your spirit has been set free, it can go where it will. However, if you think I am worthy, perhaps you will honor me by allowing your spirit come into my heart where it can live within me and be my counsel. And when life comes full circle for me, may both of our spirits be set free in a better place—
Old 08-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did he recover the buck easily an if so whats the problem if it was a real close shot like 10 yds or so.

Are you telling me if you had a 10 yard shot ata 150 class buck an that is all you had an it is a good shot because everthing in there leads to the brain, you would pass.

I am not a true believer that everything he puts out is 100% real but he puts on a good show.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Spike

I think Potts is one of the better shots that I've seen. Normally the guy smokes his deer through both lungs. I didn't see the show where he hit it in the neck, but I saw Brad Farris shoot a mule deer high and front. Same type of thing, they didn't really mention the shot placement and they recovered the deer. Did he do it intentionally? I don't thing so, but only he knows, as does Potts with his deer. I've seen a lot worse examples of people that shouldn't be on hunting shows than Stan Potts. I saw a guy take about a 45 yard shot on a quick walking whitetail and hit him in the rear flank. By the grace of God, he recovered it, but that's a shot he should've never taken in my opinion. I also think that people that say they were in camp with him and this and that happened are rumor starters, which I think happens a lot to hunters like Potts. He's always going to have detractors just because he's doing what a lot of people don't have the time or money to do.

Quick Reply: Stan Potts...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.