Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bear bait advice anyone? >

bear bait advice anyone?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bear bait advice anyone?

Old 08-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bear bait advice anyone?

ORIGINAL: gplant

Skined beaver (stop it) and sweet stuff.Check to see if and when it is legal to use sweets.
How did you know
Old 08-02-2007, 10:38 AM

Dogfood with grease poured over it and a few pastries for a topping has worked for me. We usually try to get our sites active by doing a honey burn.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 PM

Thanks everyone. that all sounds good. I'm gonna try the honey burn and definately the grease thing. I tried dog food last year and it seemed like i fed the forest. I poured maple syrup all over it. maybe it would be better with grease.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use ALOT of grease, make a moat of it around the bait. Bears will eat just about anything, but it is all in the advertisement. I put out one motherload of bait, grease the heck out of it, and hang stink bait. I stay out comepletely for 12 days. The bears roam in and out without a schedule and the bait starts to dwindle. Everytime one visits, it tracks the grease trail. I sat 2 days before deciding on a bear. I passed 7 before killing mine, with the earliest visitors appearing around 1-2 in the afternoon. There was alot of conflict between the bears that were coming in over the dwindling pile of power bars. Good luck