Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how to help a buddy >

how to help a buddy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to help a buddy

Old 07-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default how to help a buddy

my buddy just bought his buddies used bow. when he test shot it, it shot great....with broadheads. the previous owner only practiced and sighted in with broadheads. had a bag full of fieldpoints he never used that came with arrows. never broadhead tuned. today he was shooting with me and our other buddy and he shot a couple arrows..all way right. hmmm i asked usual questions..watched him shoot etc. then he said it shot fine...but he was shooting broadheads. i was like DUHHH he sighted in with broadheads...you either gotta shoot broadheads like he did all the time, sight in for fieldpoints and then sight your broadheads back in...or be smart and broadhead tune by slightly adjusting your rest.

he gets mad EASY and said he hates the carbon arrows and they suck and alumanums he used to shoot never needed moved that much. i tried explaining to him but he didnt understand.

i didnt even bring up the fact that sighting in broadheads that are missing over a foot from your fieldpoints is a BAD idea anyways because of tune issues in general and wasted energy, bad penetration etc...

hes just super hard headed. he hates the fact that i know more about archery than he does and hes been doing it way longer(i just started last year..you guys added 20 years of expirience on to me lol) i am not pushy...just state what i know...

so now he cranked down the poundage..he didnt like it on 65 so now its on 60. who knows if the tiller is right...or ever was. and hes putting his WB on from his old bow. i told him put it on and take it to the shop to get tuned..hopefully he atleast does that..but he wont be broadhead tuned.

what do i do?? just let him do his own thing?? he gets furious when i speak pretty much..id hate something stupid, like a hard head, ruin a friendship...but id hate to see him out there with a poorly tuned bow...but i guess i could turn my head and let him do what he wants to do. i just know my bow will always be broadhead tuned...
Old 07-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how to help a buddy

WOW!!!!
I really dont know what to tell you! But it sounds like your a nice, cool, and easygoing guy.
You could always steal his bow or something when he goes to work or goes on vacation and take it to the archery shop for some tuning or do it your selfBut im the same as you, id hate to see one of my friends go into the woods with a bow shooting a foot to the right and have him gut shot a deer. Sorry im not much help.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let him get over his frustration then calmly explain what you did to get your Bow tuned and how you asked for help here at Hunting Net and hopefully he will come to his senses...that or let him shoot off-target till he wears down and decides to listen to you.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 PM

Teach by example maybe? You could tune yours while he is there watching.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys. i dont know what to do. he doesnt seem to believe its possible to shoot FPs and BHs together...and thinks you must move your sights to make adjustments.

the worst part is....after going to the shop and having it tuned there he will expect a miricale...and think when he comes out he can shoot anything. wrong...still 99.9% going to have to broadhead tune.

maybe i will just email him Eastons Tuning guide and hope he reads it and does it....that may be my best bet. just say hey this is how i do it...theres a section called broadhead tuning and if you follow it you will be good to go.

i never saw anyone that got that upset and frustrated and angry as quickly as he does. it boils his blood that i know more and shoot better than he does. i cant help i take the time to learn and tune and practice....sadly enough though, we know a couple other archery shooters/hunters...but i can garuntee none of them know about broadhead tuning either so i cant even get anyone to help me help him. i know i can do it...its just "convincing" him....
Old 07-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just wait till he gets really mad and calmly say, I can Fix that if you would like. He will either punch you in the eye, or hand you the bow! So the question is how bad do you really want to help him?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just introduce him to this site.

Man,I feel your pain,I live that realityeveryday.My family doesn't understand or WANT TO the differences in what a bow that fits you and one that doesn't means.

My stepdadgave my 14 year old nephew (that he can't shoot anymore due to tendonitous) his bow.A 70# Mathews Z light with a 30" draw.My nephew can only pull about 60# on a good day and has about a 27" draw length.

I have tried to explain to both of them that it is a bad idea to even attemt this but they don't listen.

They both know my abilities as a shooter and tuner but it still falls on deaf ears.

My stepdad could easily still hunt with a compound but chooses not to because he can get a letter from a doctor that allows him to use a crossbow just because he can't use the 70# bow anymore.

My advice is to let it be and offer help when the time arrises.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:29 AM

If he doesn't want your help he doesn't want it. I have friends that I often give advise to and they look at me like I'm retarded. I just say "Do what you want but don't whine to me about how much you suck.".

I had a buddy that it took me two years to get him to let me turn down his draw weight and move his peep sight to where it needed to be. Some people just will not listen. He couldn't understand why he had been shooting for 20 years and I had been shooting 4 and I was way better than he was. I told him I knew exactly why if he was willing to listen to me. I said let me have you try one thing, and if it works just listen to what I have to say and work with me. In the end he was much happier, but it took TWO YEARS to get him to try it!

If his broad head tipped arrows group well at the distances he wants to shoot leave him alone. There is no golden rule that says broad heads HAVE to hit with field points. Sometimes you have to throw the bow out of whack to get them there. It is more a function of perfect spine and good shooting form then simple rest adjustments.

And maybe his carbon arrows are junk. My best friend tried them and hated them, went right back to aluminums. I started shooting with carbons and now shoot aluminums. You just can't be them for the money. I would never try and talk someone out of aluminum arrows if they didn't feel confident with carbons. I'm just not that impressed with them, especially the cheaper ones.

Like the others said, lead by example. Go shoot with him and if he comments about you shooting better tell him you could probably help him out if he were open to trying something different. I have noticed with some people you have to wait until they are ready, forcing them just will not work. I could tell you story after story about this kind of thing. And I don't work in a shop nor have I been doing it all that long either. I bet Arthur and Len could write a freakin book on it. Len may have already?

Paul
Old 07-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx paul.

he is like me. practices with fieldpoints and hunts with broadheads. hes ALWAYS just moved his sights come hunting season to shoot his broadheads. the kid he previously got the bow from never shot a field point. had it sighted in with his broadheads and thats what he shot.

the carbons are cheaper carbons....but so are his alumanums. but instead of hearing me out, he instantly blamed the only thing he never used...carbon arrows. i dont care what he shoots...he can shoot a lead arrow for all i care...i just hate to listen to him whine about how he sucks or this or that.

hes pretty much a lost cause though, the more i think about it. dont practice nearly enough. 95% of his practice is at 15 and 20yds when he does practice. once the broadheads are on his arrows he doesnt shoot period. doesnt pick up the bow to practice till late july..season starts at the end of september.

oh well...if he wants my help he can ask for it...he is too touchy for me...i rather deal with highly sensative bombs than this kid...i like to have someone to shoot with though...hate hearing him whine and moan about his shooting. he dont like it : learn more, shoot more, ask for help from me or a shop...

we started going to 3D shoots...first week i shot like crap and he shot better than ive ever seen him and only beat him by a couple points. the next week he shot like he normally does and i shot OK..i beat the pants off of him...he will no longer go to a 3d shoot.

ohhhh well. im here if he wants help and wants to learn...if not he can do his thing...his cousin is new...i got him into it a couple weeks ago. im definently going to try to get him heading the right direction...got him shooting OK at 30yds already. he just needs practice and work on it..
Old 07-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I first started getting serious about Bow Hunting I tried to learn as much as posssible about shooting better and improving myself.I did a lot of target practicing and went out shooting with a good friend of mine from work.He taught me more than anyone I had talked to before and we had a lot of fun going out shooting together and learning from each other.He helped me and took the time to boost my confidence and skills....when I shot my first Deer (a 6-point Buck) I drove over to his place to show him what I accomplished and he was as excited and proud of that Deer as I was and I thanked him for helping me out.It just don't get any better than that when you have a good close friend.

If your friend is not open to advice and learning from a good friend he has already lost the battle by not humbling himself and trying to improve his shooting ability.You can learn from someone younger or older than you,age doesn't make a difference and no matter how long you've been hunting you can always learn something to improve your skills or knowledge!

Quick Reply: how to help a buddy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.