Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When they come in grouped up?? >

When they come in grouped up??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When they come in grouped up??

Old 07-20-2007, 12:02 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default When they come in grouped up??

In the "Does before or after rut" post Arrow2512 brings up a point I've never considered. He mentioned letting them all walk if they come in as a group so as not to educate them on your location forfuture hunts on that particular stand. That's something that hasn't crossed my mind but definately sounds like sound reasoning. Being in a state where multiples does are authorized (and also where it takes about 3 of ours to equal 1 good northern doe) I'd hate to limit my chances by taking even one of the locations I've chosen to hunt out of the picture due to this. I'm curious to see if everyone agrees or if there are other opinions.

Edit: I was hoping to edit this before I got any replies but looks like I am too late. Anyway, does it sound reasonable to think that we could possibly get away with taking one in a group without totally spooking all the others (for future) because of the quietness of the bow vs. the sound/shock of a gunshot? Nice quiet passthru and thensitting and waiting it out, with the others knowing something happened but not sure what?? Just a thought.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: When they come in grouped up??

I almost never hunt the EXACT same location, twice. Even if I only move 30 yds....I rarely hunt the same place.

I'm not worried about educating them, too much. They're not "that" smart.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

I limit the use of stands in a season but I have shot multiple deer out of the same stand in the same season. I think the key is to be as quiet and still as possible after the shot. Many times they have no idea what happened and just run because another one is running. Just my opinion.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 PM

you have to wonder if deer are rly that smart. I dont know and am curious to know from someone with experience.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Often times I've shot deer only to have just the one I killed to run off. The others look at them all confused, but then just mill away on thier own. I don't think it educates them.

That said I still keep doe killin stands seperate from my stands that I target mature bucks with.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

I"VE shot several deer and have them fall in sight of stand and have watched the other deer o over and either nudge them or paw the ground and just stand there,so I don't thinkyou would educate them if they never see you.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think haveing them smell you or see you in your stand would do more to educate them than shooting one when the rest don't know what happened.

Maybe let them pass and shoot the last one if that scenario presents itself.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

BKE , I my have said it wrong. what i should have said was i'll let the group of doe's walk by me for the frist week of bow season then instead of shooting one of the doe's in the group . i'll wait later in the morn say around noon and if a single doe walks by me i'll shoot her,i hope this clears things up