Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting a doe with fawns to early? >

Shooting a doe with fawns to early?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting a doe with fawns to early?

Old 07-20-2007, 04:55 AM

Default RE: Shooting a doe with fawns to early?

Yea shooting both the doe and the fawn might have been the best choice at the time, and I could have no problem, except at that time South Dakota only allowed one anterless archery tag per year and they were on a lottery draw no less, wow how times have changed.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I didnt feel real good about that at the time and I guess since then I elected to let the does walk until they are all by themselves.
From what I've been told and from what I've read and witnessed......doe fawns stay with mama for life. Buck fawns will be with her through the hunting season, anyways. So....if you're waiting for the does to be "all by themselves"....you may be in for a long wait.

I've got a population problem....and I'll be targeting does, this year. My personal position is....to not shoot anything in spots....or anything with spots in tow. Once out of spots....mama and fawn are fair game (does). I've never regretted shooting any deer......and I hope I can say that after this (and subsequent) season.

And for those of you NOT in the South....I'm betting we have some VERY recent newborns right now. I woudn't be surprised if we still don't have a few carrying. I start hunting in less than 50 days. I've seen fawns in the field that "I" don't think would survive without mama. I may be wrong.....but I'm not going to find out.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

I killed a doe last night 7/19 using a crop damage permit. There were 2 does and 2 fawns in the bean field munching away. I glassed them for awhile to make sure that the fawns were in fact eating the beans....and they were. I don't know which doe the two fawns belonged to, maybe one fawn for each doe, but I am confident that thefawns will survive. There was still milk in mama's udder and I'm sure that the fawns still took advantage of that, but I don't believe that they needed it to survive.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the spots are gone, they will be fine. That being said, i try not too shoot a doe if it has a fawn behind her.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:33 AM

hey guys, this makes me wonder, do you shoot fawns? or does by the time hunting seasson comes, there spots are gone?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Around here.....they're still in spots when the season starts.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen them in spots at the start of season 10/1 and Im from Michigan.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

If the spots are gone, they will be fine. That being said, i try not too shoot a doe if it has a fawn behind her.
Agreed on both parts.