Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Fawns?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Shooting Fawns?

So I’m guessing the title got some people’s attention. I like venison, but my family eats very little. I tagged a large doe already this year and after I give 2/3rd away to family, I have enough venison to satisfy my needs for a year.

I had the option of 2 does and 2 fawns, and I took the biggest doe of the group, but I’m rethinking what I did. I have eaten in rut bucks, I have eaten does, and last year I had some road kill fawn. The best tasting venison came from the fawn! And I’m sure you know where the buck ranks on the list.

The truth is I don’t need more meat, so I’ll pass on another doe. I’m honest, and if I see a nice buck I’ll take it, but I’ll have to give away the meat. But if I see a fawn (not button buck) I plan on taking it for the great tasting meat! It seems taboo, but it makes sense to me!

I’m looking for opinions…..
Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting Fawns?

Don't know what part of the country you are from, but in northern climates, fawns are going to be the first deer to die in winter. Fawns are also the largest age group. There is nothing wrong with including doe fawns as part of your harvests.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Bob S

Don't know what part of the country you are from, but in northern climates, fawns are going to be the first deer to die in winter. Fawns are also the largest age group. There is nothing wrong with including doe fawns as part of your harvests.
SW Michigan. I hunt Allegan County.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant say I disagree with you. Fawns are the best tasting. Id rather kill them first than leave orphans in the woods. Sounds stupid I know, but thats how I see it. Tags in reduction areas here are 2.00
Old 10-17-2007, 02:13 PM

i say you should leave the fawns to grow!!! thats like me killing your baby even next year when they arent as small you can take them but as fawns because if every took fawns there wouldnt be any deer left once the older once die...if you think about .... owell thats just my opinion and i wouldnt shoot the fawn even if theydo taste good
Old 10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: furgitter
Id rather kill them first than leave orphans in the woods.
This brings up a question. At what age are fawns able to survive on their own? This would be a big influence on deciding whether to take the Doe, the Fawn, or pass on both.

Thanks in advance,
Rick C.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Just Grill size

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/oneshot/untitledaf.jpg

big rockpile
Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot a few fawns over the years and you are right about them tasting good! I try not to make a habit of it though, but it's personal pref. If I only had a couple days/year to hunt and that's all I saw, I wouldn't think twice.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

the does around here at least usually leave the fawns around first slug season when they go into the rut. last year i wasnt sure if the fawn could survive with out its mom so i took the fawn, later i find out that when the two get seperated the fawn will look for the mother but the mother wont waste time looking the fawn is on its own.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kingnn93

i say you should leave the fawns to grow!!! thats like me killing your baby even next year when they arent as small you can take them but as fawns because if every took fawns there wouldnt be any deer left once the older once die...if you think about .... owell thats just my opinion and i wouldnt shoot the fawn even if theydo taste good
Your entitled to your opinion but you have a bad way of speaking your mind the way you did (thats like me killing your baby) thats rediculous king! There's a huge difference between humans and deer (fawns) ! Just so you know the fawns are the 1st deer todie in the winter! I'd rather see this then people shooting 1 and 2 year old bucks!

Quick Reply: Shooting Fawns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.