Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Text book kill?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Text book kill?

Im not to knowlegded with back shots, i though it dropped them right away but how ethical ar those shots?

from the look of this one, not very
Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

Im not to knowlegded with back shots, i though it dropped them right away but how ethical ar those shots?

from the look of this one, not very
You have the right idea! They are not ethical but it happens to the best of us. I don't know if anyone purposely does this but its a sad sight to see. I had it happen once when I was younger on a rifle hunt.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much longer does it take for them to croak?
ive seen some spine shots where they drop and are motionless immediately.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:40 PM

I couldn't tell you for sure. I had to finish the job with another shot. I've heard of them crawling a good ways before expiring. Well, that buck in the video seemed no where close to where he was shot. Might give you an idea.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, he shoulda shot it again

bummer

Old 07-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Spike

Im not defending the boy at all, but to me the kid looked young, mid teens. If you watch the video the buck got spooked and about flagged him. The kid took the shot he had before he lost that trophy buck. Was it the right shot, NO WAY.But you can only hope the young man learned from that outting.I know when I killed my first deer with a bow, I was nervous and pulled my arm on release. It lead to a gut shot where I hadto actually slice the windpipe of the deer.I was 16 and I learned at a reallyhard lesson in taking quality shots. We've allhad a bad experience in the woods, it's just how werespond to the lessons we've learned. Hopefully he responded positively.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

whose to say he didn't shoot again. The video stopped and then picked up tracking him
Old 07-19-2007, 12:03 AM

I think we are all missing the point Duc was trying to make. It isn't that we as hunters don't make bad shots.. .heck, I have yet to shoota deer with my bow. Could I make the same mistake, certaintly.

But, the point of the comment was, how can someone say that shot was textbook?

Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 AM

Yep who ever made the comment that it was a perfect shot is a little slow IMO. As Duc said look at where it is shot and look at where it is found. Shot in pretty much flat ground and looks to be flat all around. Then the deer is found in a valley or ravine. Who knows what happened since they edited the video and he could have taken a second shot and it was a bad one and it was a sad site to see as a deer crawls away with two arrows in it, maybe more, but something had to happen, they left it out for a reason, and glad they did! I doubt they just decided to turn the camera off right after prime time! Ispine shot a buck once! I waslucky since hewas not able to crawl away, he was just able to spin in circles on one leg and make this god awful bawl/grunt sound![&o][:@] Never again do I want that to happen again or would wish that on anyone! All the TV showsare just like this Video, they leave out what happens after a "cool" drop in your tracks spine shot!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:41 AM

Thats not text book? I agree man, my first ever deer was a spine shot and I never ever want it to happen again. I ended up finishing it with another shot but it took me a couple of minutes to get in a position to do that.

Quick Reply: Text book kill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.