Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer decoys?

Old 07-18-2007, 04:59 PM

Default deer decoys?

I currently have a "renzo's" doe decoy, problem is I seem to spook alot of doe's with it. I have no clue why they are so touchy to the decoys, I like the idea of hunting with a decoy and have read many "articles" on decoying. How many people like to hunt with decoys and what kind, I am thinking of buying a 3d decoy but havent been convinced. So tell me what you would buy or not buy or if i should not even use one.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:02 PM

Default RE: deer decoys?

With a decooy its hit or miss. The deer will be fooled or they will be on alert and youll get a white flag.

If your the first person in your area to use decoys they will probly fall for them if your not and they have been spooked before by them they will run.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM

No real experience. I used a 3dtarget several years back before decoys were in vogue and saw no reactions one way or the other. I am thinking of trying a doe and bedded doe or possibly a small buck and bedded doe during th erut along with grunt calls and some scent that is natural, but I am hesitant from fear of spooking them.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I was going to use a deer decoy , I would get one of these from BuckWing.
They look so real and the best thing about them is that the tail and head wobble with the lightest breeze.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

If I was going to use a deer decoy , I would get one of these from BuckWing.
They look so real and the best thing about them is that the tail and head wobble with the lightest breeze.

Don't use it during rifle season! LOL!

I think Tennessee has the Bionic buck or something like that they use to catch poachers, so I'd say someone would fall for it.

I think if I used a decoy, on those slow bow season days I'd end up shooting at it [8D]
Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah i have heard of the cops putting up decoys to catch poachers and mean land owners using them to trick the people hunting on there land. I would prolly get the id get the buck wing also.

How would a good looking 3-d target work?
and is a doe or buck better for august/september?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I should have added that you can remove the antlers to make a doe decoy and when using this decoy you can put some sent waffer's to it.
Like Cougars09 saiduse caution when using this decoy , it would be a good idea to put some blaze orange tape on it when transporting.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

i saw a tv show where they had an electronic deer set up to catch poachers....the guy stopped his truck. Rested on his hood and shot at it like 3 or 4 times...then figured there was something up, thats when the law came in.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used a 3D target with some success during the rut. I used it as a doe with no antlers attached.

I did notice that doe deer seem to be especially wary of the decoy. They seem afraid of it. Usually they stare at it a bit then snort and run away.

Bucks had an opposite reaction. I actually had one run across a small field and right up to it.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Flambeau Doe decoy and I must say it is a very good looking realistic deer decoy and affordable.I bought the antler kit for it and it is a nice addition to the decoy if you want to draw a Buck in during the rut.I have had mixed reaction to my decoy,sometimes the deer are drawn in towards it and other times them seem to be nervous and spooked away from it.Last year I had a young Buck stop and check it out then run away because it was bigger than him and I'm guessing he had his butt kicked a few times by an olderBuck! LOL

The decoy has plastic leags and head that can be removed and placed inside the body cavity for transporting to and from your hunting area.You can also take the legs off and have it as a bedded Doe or Buck.Somethings you need to consider is you should be very careful when using any Decoy'swhile setting them up or carrying them to where your going to hunt.I usually wrap mine incamo material if I take it to my stand or carry it back home with me,when I get done hunting and go to take it down I cover it with my camo material then take it over to my stand and dis-assemble it....you don't want to get shot carrying it or moving it around!!!! [:@]

Some States may or may not allow decoys or only allow them at certain times to be used.We can use decoys during Bow Season here in Mo. butcan't use them during regular Rifle Deer Season.

Quick Reply: deer decoys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.