Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Old Bear Whitetail Hunter 60# draw >

Old Bear Whitetail Hunter 60# draw

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old Bear Whitetail Hunter 60# draw

Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Old Bear Whitetail Hunter 60# draw

Okay, there's some history behind this bow. It was given to me 13 years ago by a family friend. I never shot it much, and eventually gave it to a co-worker I was stationed with.

We met up again a couple of years ago, and just recently made plans to go bow hunting opening weekend in Missouri.

He stopped by a few days ago to do some practice shooting, and guess what bow he had? Yep, that same old Whitetail Hunter, flipper rest, steel pins and all. HUGE aluminum arrows (about 7/16" diameter) withbroadheads that would fit a GT 5575. He's excited about bow hunting (this will be his second time), but he can't afford much at all.

I had him leave the bow with me, and asked if he minded if I made some modifications.He said he'dappreciate anything that I could do. After consulting with a shop owner, I did the following:

#1 - Bought him 6 Carbon Express Terminator Lites and refletched with 4"
Feathers (right helical).
#2 - I took off the flipper rest, drilled and tapped the Berger Button hole
(5/16 x 24) and installed an inexpensiveprong rest.
#3 -I re-drilled and tapped the sight mount holes and installed a Tru-Glo
3 pin sight.
#4 - I took 4 brass nock points(wow!) off and installed my first ever D-
loop.
#5 - I installed Limb Saver vibration dampers and string leeches.
#6- Tuned and sighted it in.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how this antique shoots. Yes, it's still loud, and when you shoot, it's similar to having a running lawnmower handle in your hand for a split second, but the first pin is dead on out to 20 yards, and I shot two 4" groups at 40 yardsbefore I had to quit.
Since he's taking me hunting on 80 acres of private land that hasn't been hunted in years, I figured it was the least I could do.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Old Bear Whitetail Hunter 60# draw

very impressive, your a very nice guy littlechief, i dont care what people say about ya!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 AM

I also have an old Bear. It's the Blacktail hunter. Made in 1978. it has a 50# draw. There are no adjustments to make on mine.I was going to use it this bow season. I also had sights put on. I still have the old flipper rest on it but it puts the arrow where your aiming. I took my quiver off and it got a little quiter but still loud. My daughter boke my sights and i just couldn't get it quiter no matter what so I'm gonna get a new bow. Very cool. People still believe in them old bows
Old 07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

your a very nice guy littlechief, i dont care what people say about ya!
Ha! I've found that life is much more enjoyable if I don't care what people say about me either!

I'll always help a friend, but in this caseit may be a little self motivated. If he has more confidence and is more excited about hunting, I may get to hunt even more!

I took my quiver off and it got a little quiter but still loud.
Great. Poppabear, you just made me realize that I forgot to re-attach the quiver mount.[:@]
Old 07-17-2007, 03:03 PM

It's probably quiter without it. I still may end up using mine this season if I can't get my Martin. I bought it at a garage sale for $20, the bear,just to see if i could shoot. I was grouping 3" at 20 yrds. It's just so heavy and loud I'm afraid if i get a shot the deer will hear it comming.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frankly, I'm amazed at how this antique shoots.
And just think, it was a cheap POS in it's day. The sights and rest you put on it probably cost more than the bow did when it was new. You oughta get your hands on a GOOD antique and spend some time shooting it.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:51 PM

Well a cheap POS is better than apile of S***. You can shoot arrows with it rather than at it.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL! I've launched many blunt-tipped arrows at piles of it while shooting with a piece of it. Dried up cowpies make excellent roving targets for a small game hunter.

Didn't mean to upset you, poppabear. I didn't chose my wording carefully enough. I was simply saying there were much better bows available when that Whitetail HUnter was new.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's very good of you to help your friend out like that. I'm sure he'll appreciate very much. It'll also put a big smile on your face when he gets a deer with the bow you set up for him.

Good job.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:55 AM

No offence taken Arthur. I just figure you hunt with what you are skilled and able to. I was just joking when I replied. I agree it is a POS. Hopefully I'll be gettin my new Martin and day now.

Quick Reply: Old Bear Whitetail Hunter 60# draw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.