HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Old Bear Whitetail Hunter 60# draw
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Default Old Bear Whitetail Hunter 60# draw

Okay, there's some history behind this bow. It was given to me 13 years ago by a family friend. I never shot it much, and eventually gave it to a co-worker I was stationed with.

We met up again a couple of years ago, and just recently made plans to go bow hunting opening weekend in Missouri.

He stopped by a few days ago to do some practice shooting, and guess what bow he had? Yep, that same old Whitetail Hunter, flipper rest, steel pins and all. HUGE aluminum arrows (about 7/16" diameter) withbroadheads that would fit a GT 5575. He's excited about bow hunting (this will be his second time), but he can't afford much at all.

I had him leave the bow with me, and asked if he minded if I made some modifications.He said he'dappreciate anything that I could do. After consulting with a shop owner, I did the following:

#1 - Bought him 6 Carbon Express Terminator Lites and refletched with 4"
Feathers (right helical).
#2 - I took off the flipper rest, drilled and tapped the Berger Button hole
(5/16 x 24) and installed an inexpensiveprong rest.
#3 -I re-drilled and tapped the sight mount holes and installed a Tru-Glo
3 pin sight.
#4 - I took 4 brass nock points(wow!) off and installed my first ever D-
loop.
#5 - I installed Limb Saver vibration dampers and string leeches.
#6- Tuned and sighted it in.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how this antique shoots. Yes, it's still loud, and when you shoot, it's similar to having a running lawnmower handle in your hand for a split second, but the first pin is dead on out to 20 yards, and I shot two 4" groups at 40 yardsbefore I had to quit.
Since he's taking me hunting on 80 acres of private land that hasn't been hunted in years, I figured it was the least I could do.