Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Age

Old 07-17-2007, 10:57 AM

Default RE: Hunting Age

You can get a youth license under 12 BUT you have to be hunting with a licensed adult. We took our nephew last year and he got his first deer -- but not with a bow. I don't think he could draw back 40 pounds and he doesn't have anyone at his house to teach him. I am thinking that we will outfit him with a bow and teach him when he turns 12. That way it will be a big year for him -- I'll sit with him during the hunter's ed course and hubby will work with him on the bow. (Actually, I may give him my bow -- which will be several years old by then -- and get a new one for me!!!)

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

No minimum legal age in Texas. But the catch is you have to have a hunter ed certificate to get a license and you aren't eligible for certification until you're 12.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

In NC there is no age requirement but you have to pass the hunter's ed course and you also must pull back 35# on your bow.
They suggest age 12 as a guideline for unsupervised hunts.

I disagee with any state that will not allow kids to go on SUPERVISED hunts with properly licensed adults.
Some are mature enough to hunt at age 6.
My son got his first deer last year at the age of 6. He was supervised and had assistance with the rifle, but did all the aiming and pulling the trigger by himself.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

No minimum legal age in Texas. But the catch is you have to have a hunter ed certificate to get a license and you aren't eligible for certification until you're 12.
On public permit hunts in Texas the minimum age is 8...no hunter ed certificate, you have to be under the immediate control of an adult (18 or older) with a hunting license. I don't believe a hunting license is required for someone under 16, but I may be mistaken.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GRIZZLYMAN

On public permit hunts in Texas the minimum age is 8...no hunter ed certificate, you have to be under the immediate control of an adult (18 or older) with a hunting license. I don't believe a hunting license is required for someone under 16, but I may be mistaken.

you have to have a hunting license but you dont have to have duck stamps, bow stamp, ect. when you turn 16 you must purchus them and thats when it starts getting expensive
Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM

well i guess 14 is fine but my dad dont hunt

Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

ORIGINAL: GRIZZLYMAN

you have to have a hunting license but you dont have to have duck stamps, bow stamp, ect. when you turn 16 you must purchus them and thats when it starts getting expensive
Yep, you are right. I checked the TPWD website and they came up with this.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/general/hunt_licenses/

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/youth_hunting/drawn_hunts/

I guess the confusing part for me is if the ages for youth hunts is 8-16, and the youth are required to have a license, how do you get it when the minimum age for hunter's ed is 12?