Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Specific buck

Old 07-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Specific buck

Yep I do it every year. I pick out the biggest bruiser on my land and specifically (try to) hunt him. It becomes an obsession. However....... in the meantime it's not going to break my heart if a bigger buck comes by that I haven't been hunting or ever seen and I'm forced totake him.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

where i hunt, dedicating a season to a particular buck is difficult to near impossible. the areas are highly pressured. any buck older than 1.5 years old is smarter than me most of the time. other guys hunting the areas, small game and fall turkey hunters etc etc all come into play. my areas just get hammered with pressure. im not good enough to dedicate a season to a particular buck and not eat tag soup every year.

if i had a private farm i had soul permission to and had a particular buck on it that i wanted and i probably might dedicate my season to taking him.

im not afraid to eat tag soup, but eating it yearly gets old
Old 07-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea i do it. Theres been a monster buck running around my hunting grounds for at least 5 years now. Theres been alot of big bucks killed but none have his spilit right brow tine that distinquishes him. He was seen only twice last year during the season, both times by my friends dad and little brother at over 200 yards. He is very nocturnal, and when he was scene he was with 5+ does both times. I have 3 trail cam pics of him (2003, 2004, 2006).
Old 07-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have three that I amlooking for this year. One of them will most likely be a 150-160 class if last yearwas any indication.The othertwo will be in the 140's maybe all three look to be at least 3.5 last year.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normally no, but last year I fell into one. Hunted him (and him alone) very hard I finially killed him on the 5th sighting. My highest ever hunting accomplishment. Only a 100" 8 pt but it was the one I wanted.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Has anyone seen a specific buck that will be the only one that they are chasing this season?
When I was a young grasshopper many moons ago I did have times when I thought like that. But it really can take all the fun out of hunting. Find multiple deer, multiple sets and have multiples of fun and experiences. I had one buck I hunted for 3 years and started the 4th. I was a total basketcase that was possesed. I wasn't nice at times either. Another buck I watched almost nightly all summer long. I had him pegged. I put up my stand at 10 PM in a driving rain to lessen the stink and avoid detection. A friend lived on the corner of the property. My stand was only 100 yards from his house....but I had this bad boy and his band of 3 fellow bucks down pat. I arrived opening day of archery season1 1/2 hours before daylight to slip into my stand. My buddy come out of the house and said, you want to see your big buck? He's laying in the ditch over there. He got hit by a car last night. The state police that came to the accident cut off his 12 point rack and took it with them. I had to settle for second best of the 4... this guy.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:45 AM

yea im gonna be chasing a nice 10 pt. this season i seen on my land.