Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Not quite a virgin... >

Not quite a virgin...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not quite a virgin...

Old 07-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Spike

Default Not quite a virgin...

It's the off-season. Sounds like a perfect time to relate that I re-qualified in June to hunt with a bow in NY state. So this fall a semi-virgin bowhunter will enter the woods.

Last year while attending the Rochester (NY) Sportsman's Show, I attended a seminar about hunting where the instructor told us about a Draw-Loc device for a compound bow. Last fall, I searched for my certification and bow stamp. I probably threw my old certification and bow stamps away years ago when I first became disabled frustrated that I'd never hunt again. So, I had to take the 8-hour course over again because the DEC had no record of me.

Having hunted in the past with a recurve, I never even fired a compound bow before. Time called for an educational journey into bows, accessories, and the like before a purchase. The best piece of advice I think I got was to buy a good quality used bow because I'd probably want to upgrade soon after. I just picked up a used Martin Jaguar in great shape complete with peep sight, 3-pin fiber optic front sight, fall-away rest, stabilizer, nocking loop, release, 6-arrow quiver, and arrows. Prior to the purchase, I had a pro shop owner give me the nod as to the condition.

Since then, I have had the draw weight reduced to 45#, purchased longer heavier arrows and heavier tips, a hard bow case, some accessories, and ordered a Draw-Loc device. I am also considering about having a Whisker Biscuit rest installed.

There exist a couple of opportunities to participate in guided deer hunts this fall for disabled archers in NY and the Midwest. I have all but given up trying to promote outdoor activities for other people with disabilities. It has been all frustration with very little results. The groups to which I subscribed mostly comprise clueless, abled-bodied hunters who want to take a few sick kids out fishing and brag they have "a program for the handicapped" or hope to increase their membership rolls and sell more magazine subscriptions by initiating a one-event per year program. I think I'll be selfish and concentrate on myself for a bit.

Rob
Old 07-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Not quite a virgin...

ORIGINAL: nystr8shooter

Draw-Loc device. I am also considering about having a Whisker Biscuit rest installed.

Rob
I wish you the best of luck.

The Draw Loc is an arrow rest in one correct?, so the Whisker Bisquit will not worK correct?

Anyway, welcome back to the addiction and have a great season.