HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Not quite a virgin...
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 09:31 AM
nystr8shooter
Spike

Default Not quite a virgin...

It's the off-season. Sounds like a perfect time to relate that I re-qualified in June to hunt with a bow in NY state. So this fall a semi-virgin bowhunter will enter the woods.

Last year while attending the Rochester (NY) Sportsman's Show, I attended a seminar about hunting where the instructor told us about a Draw-Loc device for a compound bow. Last fall, I searched for my certification and bow stamp. I probably threw my old certification and bow stamps away years ago when I first became disabled frustrated that I'd never hunt again. So, I had to take the 8-hour course over again because the DEC had no record of me.

Having hunted in the past with a recurve, I never even fired a compound bow before. Time called for an educational journey into bows, accessories, and the like before a purchase. The best piece of advice I think I got was to buy a good quality used bow because I'd probably want to upgrade soon after. I just picked up a used Martin Jaguar in great shape complete with peep sight, 3-pin fiber optic front sight, fall-away rest, stabilizer, nocking loop, release, 6-arrow quiver, and arrows. Prior to the purchase, I had a pro shop owner give me the nod as to the condition.

Since then, I have had the draw weight reduced to 45#, purchased longer heavier arrows and heavier tips, a hard bow case, some accessories, and ordered a Draw-Loc device. I am also considering about having a Whisker Biscuit rest installed.

There exist a couple of opportunities to participate in guided deer hunts this fall for disabled archers in NY and the Midwest. I have all but given up trying to promote outdoor activities for other people with disabilities. It has been all frustration with very little results. The groups to which I subscribed mostly comprise clueless, abled-bodied hunters who want to take a few sick kids out fishing and brag they have "a program for the handicapped" or hope to increase their membership rolls and sell more magazine subscriptions by initiating a one-event per year program. I think I'll be selfish and concentrate on myself for a bit.

Rob