Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Falling out of treestands >

Falling out of treestands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Falling out of treestands

Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Falling out of treestands

We've all heard statistics about the number of hunters injured from falling out of treestands, but has anyone ever broken it down into homemade vs. manufactured treestands? I'm just wondering what % of the hunters that fall out of their stands fall out of them because they are homemade wooden stands that are poorly built and/or poorly maintained.

I've used homemade stands built by friends before and evenwhen they werewell-built and maintained, I never felt very safe getting in and out of them or when hunting from them. I can only imagine what a poorly built/maintained stand would be like.

FYI: Last year I bought a climbing treestand with safety harness and I've never felt safer in a tree.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Falling out of treestands

Out of my hutning group, we only fall out of homemade stands......lol
Old 07-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was thinkin the same thing myself becuase if you use the harness properly it shouldnt happen.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

I fell out of my climber fall 2005 when i was going down after the hunt. i always wear my vest when up in treestand but never while going up or down. Big mistake bottom wasn't securely dug in tree as my weight shifted while moving hand climber away i went 22 feet. Landed on my left side. I broke collar bone 2 places, shoulder blade, fractured 3 ribs, fractured Glenoid cavity (concave bone shoulder ball sits in) displaced 3 vertabrae in cervical portion of neck had a cervical laminoplasty to relieve pressure on spinal cord. cell phone smashed on fall had to walk about 1/2 mile out. Great stand, stupid error Use your belt going up and down would have save me about 6 months of pure hell!!! Not to mention I nearly orphaned my children and financially we won't even go there BE SAFE
100% usage
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I fell last year hanging a hang on stand....now Cougs uses a linemans belt everytime. As far as homemade treestands they can be very safe and effective if done right. Of course like anything else, you do it at your own risk. I'd be willing to bet that the MAJORITY of hunting related injuries are user error and self inflicted injuries.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel much safer in stands I build, mostly because they are bigger (I like to stretch out my feet).
The most recent one I built is 2x8s between three trees with 2x4 decking across. The 2x8s are secured with 4" lag bolts (stainless steel), 4" wood screws and 4" nails. The decking is secured with deck screws, the whole thing is stained to protect the wood, and there are safety rails (poles that I cut making shooting lanes).
Another stand that I built only uses 2 trees, it was wobbly if you got near the edges, so I ran airplane cable from eyebolts on the corners of the stand up to lag bolts in the trees.

The only saftey concerns that I have ever had was home-made ladders, now I keep my eyes out for any TV tower that I can get my hands on, lash it to the tree with airplane cable and I'm fine.
Much safer than teetering on a tiny steel platform chained to a tree trunk.

Obviously my stands are different than home-made climbers or other portables, but I can stand up and stretch, sit down cross legged, basically get comfortable so my muscles don't seize up. I'll get pics of one the next time I'm at the farm (maybe this weekend).
Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Well let me just say I fell 20 feet. Its not a fun thing. I wasnt sure I could make it out of the woods. But I did. I have a broken back that I have lived with since 1992. I fell from a hang on stand. I fell while I was coming down from the tree. My back will never get better. If I elected to have the surgery I have a 70% chance to walk again, but a 30% chance to be in a wheel chair. I elect to suffer with the pain instead of the odds they have given me. Safety is a must. I learned the hard way. I just keep on going cause Im never sure from one time to the next if I will be paralyzed. I mean I still use my climber and frequently. I also use a homemade ladder stand that is very safe. I will never use a hang on stand again. Especially with the screw in steps. Im definetly against the hang ons and screw in steps. Im just happy to be able to enjoy one of the things I truely love to do in life. Lifes to short be safe...
Old 07-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

though ive never fallen from a tree stand, I have a climber that i bought last fall. the first real time i used it hunting i didnt feel the least bit safe. I think it was user error thou as I made some adjustments later and felt safer but still not 100%. Both times I used the safety harness that came w/it.

I do have a homemade stand thats been in the same tree now for 8 yrs. I meant last yr to replace it, but never got a round tuit. I still used it but felt a little apprehensive. With this stand ive never used a harness. This year it will get replaced. Guranteed.

If I use the climber again this yr, Im switching harnesses and tie in methods.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Intresting question and one I will throw around. I teach Hunter Safety Ed here in IL and we are really getting on stand safety these days. I'll see what comes back as far as stats go from any official source.

I would definately guess quite a bit are from poorly maintained wooden stands and poorly designed and/or constructed homemade stands. Far too many guys (dummies) think............"Ah, I nailed that thing together with a ton of 16-penny nails and used wolmanized lumber!" (Hint: They still rot out and the nails loosen.

Steel construction for the tubular ladders I make in my shop and welded. My rungs are fitted into the ladder tube before welded in a slot I cut on the milling machine - then welded. I use plywood for the platforms and they are replaced well before they need it. I have a bunch of spares on hand all the time and they all get new hardware when replaced.

The platforms are fitted with seatbelts for gun hunting otherwise we use harnesses for bow season and standing.

Onemistake I see alot of guys makeis that with wooden platforms they make them flat and level. Putting a bit of a noticeable pitch on them sheds the water and the plywood won't seperate as soon.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

Haven't fallen out of one, but I did have to jump out of one. Using a certain climber for the first time. Coming down the bottom half didn't dig into the tree and slid all the way to the ground. I usually tie the two pieces together, but had forgotten.

I didn't have my phone and God only knows how long it would have been before someone noticed I was missing. I was about 1/2 way down, around 14ft or so....So I just jumped out. Didn't break anything just tingled my feet a little. I was very lucky Espically considering i am not a small guy 240lbs and could have easily broken something.

Quick Reply: Falling out of treestands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.