Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bowhunting in the rain >

bowhunting in the rain

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting in the rain

Old 07-03-2007, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bowhunting in the rain

Rain yes. Thunderstorms no.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only get so much time to hunt every year, so if it is raining, sleeting, snowing, whateverwhen I could be hunting, I am hunting. Especially on a trip. Last year we got 18" of snow when we were elk hunting and some guys sat in camp. I just couldn't imagine travelling from Ohio to Colorado to sit in a log hut. I didn't get an elk, but the hunting was still a lot better than playing cards.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:31 AM

i hang the bow up in the house and let it air dry
Old 07-03-2007, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Downpour? Nope. Rain? Yep.

I've got good gear (from my waterfowl days).....but I'll be one of the first to admit.....it don't mean that much to me. November....rain....yeah...I'm hunting. October 10th....pouring rain.....Have you seen my wife???

Seriously....unless it's pouring...I'll likely hunt. I also have the luxury of seeing hundreds of deer in a season. So....I also might sit one out. I'll have plenty of chances.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like many said, light rain or right before or after rain has been good to me on deer sightings.

This won't earn me any points in the bowhunting forum, but for a heavy rain I usually go sit in one of our 3 boxstands (for rifle hunting). I feel real smug sitting in there listening to the rain and thinking about all the other soaking hunters. Also, our boxstands are great doe stands.

Thanks for the tip on the blowdryer, might have to try that one.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

I enjoy hunting in the rain, although I now shoot Blazers instead of feathers. Even with fletch-dry, you'll be shooting bare shafts if it rains too hard.
lol, my bad. I don't use feathers and I have no idea what I was thinking.

Your vanes fall off in the rain???? My hunting group and I haven't had any problems with Goat Tuff.
LOL... no, in downpours the feathers just go flat against the shaft, so you are virtually shooting bare shafts. Never tried Goat Tuff, but the fletch-dry I used could only stand up to light rain. At any rate, a moot point now. The Blazers shoot so well, can imagine going back and taking the risk. No matter what the weather, fletchings won't be a concern.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted in the rain a fair amount and my motto used to be (I mostly work outside) if it's too bad to work I can go Hunting

Seriously I don't mind a rain shower, but I am past the days of hanging on the side of a tree with the wind blowing and lightning popping around me. Guess I'm getting soft in my Old Age
Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunted one moring in the rain,went in for lunch went back out about 3:30 got in my tree all setteled down noticed my drop away wouldnt drop away anymore... it locked up from the rain....had to get down an oil it up to lube it back up [:@]
Old 07-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Ive had great luck in the rain. It seems like it really gets the deer movin in my area. Ive kept a digitallog the past few years and to my suprise rain was the best condition for seeing #s of deer. If lightning starts flyin I get a little freaked out and usually leave though.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

I don't mind hunting in a light rain or drizzle. I have had pretty good luck seeing deer when the weather is poor. The one thing does does concern me is the blood trail. I had a bad experience last year where the rain had washes away a blood trail and it made it real hard to find the deer.

Quick Reply: bowhunting in the rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.