Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New question

Old 06-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New question

Original: Qucksilver

Honestly, LC - if you have a spooked deer in front of you, and it's already on pins-and-needles. Heck, it might even be staring at you. When that bow cracks, the deer is gonna hit the floor, whether you're using feathers, fobs, vanes, or no fletchings at all.
Something Quicksilver said in another thread brought up a question, and I thought I should move it out of TexasOaks' thread.
My brother says he's done this successfully. I have no reason to doubt him. He is a preacher, after all. Hey, you can choose your friends, but not your relatives.
Anyway, when you're at full draw and you've been made, but the deer is still there (he knows you're there), when you shoot he's going to bolt at the sound of the bow. I've always heard that he'll drop down before bolting to lower his weight for more push-off from the back legs. What do you think? Do you aim low and hope he does drop?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:09 AM

Default RE: New question

it has happened to me and i just aimed right at the corner pocket behind the leg. about 2 inches from the bottom of her belly
got this doe right in the spine
she dropped like 8 inches!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have also heard of this practice at longer ranges, as it takes time for the arrow to get there, hence more time to react to the shot.

Shane
Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Need a faster bow.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 AM

yeah i would say it does depend on if they are really close or a good distance shot also
Old 06-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've ran into situations long ago where I shot at deer looking right at me ready to bolt. I aimed a couple inches low expecting them to drop and they didn't. Ever since, I have just aimed where I want to hit and its worked out. There is no hard fast rule to this situation.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 AM

Everytime I watch a hunting DVD and the shooter uses a bow, I'll re-watch the scene in slow-motion. Every single time the deer drops BEFORE the arrow gets to the deer.