Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you consider a good group? >

What do you consider a good group?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you consider a good group?

Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default What do you consider a good group?

I hear people say they shoot good groups a lot. Being as new to archery as I am, I have no idea what a good group is. What size do you consider to be a good group at 20, 30, and 40 yards. I have yet to shoot more than a few arrows past 20 yards. I can easily get groups at 20 yards to group in a 3inch diameter. Is this considered good, bad, or fair? I don't want to be moving back too soon.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you consider a good group?

I like to divide the yardage by 10, then make it inches.

so a good 30 yrd group would be in a 3" circle. anything better than that is great.

example: 45 yrds, 45/10 = 4.5" group.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 AM

Similar for me, although most groups at 20 yards should have shafts just about touching. Good shooting to you.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never thought of a formula like that, but I think that's pretty sound for most people. For hunting purposes, I'm pretty happy with 2" groups at 20 yards, 3" at 30 and 4" at 40. I recently mentioned on another post that I'm turnng in softball-sized groups at 50, which I said is probably not world-class, but I think it'll be good enough for my upcoming elk hunt. So ... all in all, I think Ed's right on.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure that you will get greatly varying answers to this one.

I don't see any of the experienced archers answering, so I will throw in my two cents.

I would consider 3" groups good. I assume you are going for hunting, not target shooting.

Like you, I started at about 20 yards and was having no problem with 3" groups (after working out some grip and stance issues). Things get exponentially harder as you get out though. Sometimes (like yesterday), I was struggling with consistent 3" groups at 25 yards. I finished up strong, but had a few erratic flights and down and left misses. My goal is consistent 3" groups at 30 yards for hunting (which I have not reached). I'm only shooting 6" at 30 yards (sometimes better - talking about consistent here).

My thinking is even though the kill zone for deer is obviously bigger than 3", taking a real shot on game from a stand with no warm up shots is more difficult, so I would like some small margin for error.

EDIT: 2 experienced archers beat me to post, so disregard that comment.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:55 AM

this is just my opinion, and I have been shooting a bow and bowhunting for 28 years,but I think that before you move back from 20 yds you should be shooting groups that all your arrows should be touching or at least very close to touching.You dont want to move back to soon because all you will do is hurt your confidence, and that is not a good thing for your consistancy. When you do start to move back to 30 and 40 yards and get proficient at those distances then that 20 yard shot seems like a chip shot
Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

I like to divide the yardage by 10, then make it inches.

so a good 30 yrd group would be in a 3" circle. anything better than that is great.

example: 45 yrds, 45/10 = 4.5" group.

i agree, that is pretty much the same idea i use
Old 06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Never thought of a formula like that, but I think that's pretty sound for most people. For hunting purposes, I'm pretty happy with 2" groups at 20 yards, 3" at 30 and 4" at 40. I recently mentioned on another post that I'm turnng in softball-sized groups at 50, which I said is probably not world-class, but I think it'll be good enough for my upcoming elk hunt. So ... all in all, I think Ed's right on.
Greg, that is only good enough for elk if you are alright with hitting just anywhere on the heart. I myself like to be able to pick the ventricle I am going to split at 50 yards

Old 06-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL huntingson... Maybe one of these days I'll work myself up to your standards!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ilike the division thing too. 2" at 20- 3 at 30 etc.

Things are different with my recurve though, 6" at 20yds and I'm feeling good!

Quick Reply: What do you consider a good group?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.