Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kansas

Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kansas

I may have the oppty to hunt Kansas this year , on a tract of private land owned by prior boss of our maintenance sup here at work.
He gave me the phone number today and told me to call him and see if i can come out early to bowhunt - there have been guys heading out for the last three years to gun hunt and they have taken nice bucks every year.

My question is if the oppty pans out would you drive or fly with your archery gear - It will take about 18 hrs from NC
Old 06-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kansas

Drive....there is less chance of anything going wrong with your equiptment. Gas will suck....but so doesn being layed over in the airport while the minimum wage yahoos are throwing your bow off one plane onto another.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy a hard case and ship it overnight to yourself. If that doesn't suit ya, you can borrow one of mine while your here.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

brk........if you have planned to go i hope you already put in for your non resident application??? i got mine in and am crossing my fingers and can't wait to see if i get drawn.......July 1st...needs to hurry up and get here.....if we get drawn we are going to fly (california is a little too far to drive).....

motown....what unit are you in?I put in for unit11..Iam wondering if you are going to be around the same area i will be if you could give me some insight on what the deer may be doing or how to go about hunting a whitetail (times to hunt, prime locations, etc)for the rifle season (nov28-dec9 i think)?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

motown....what unit are you in?I put in for unit11..Iam wondering if you are going to be around the same area i will be if you could give me some insight on what the deer may be doing or how to go about hunting a whitetail (times to hunt, prime locations, etc)for the rifle season (nov28-dec9 i think)?

I hunt unit 11 also JNTURK. Are you hunting public or private ground? Once gun season comes around the bucks are in the late stages of the rut. Depending on the weather you can still catch a big boy searching for a hot doe. I would be glad to help you with any information you need. Let me know some more of your details and I will help you out.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:27 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I don't fly with my gear...send it UPS to where ever I'm heading.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow....what are the odds.......i will be doing both private and public.....my dads cousin has 5 acres so we will see if we can get anything on there, but if not there is a lake that has huntable public land around it he said we could try out..........he lives in Wellsville, KS......

so it would be late rut? would they still be with does or hitting food sources?

thanks for any help you can give me MOTOWN
Old 06-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure he is talking about the Hillsdale lake areafor hunting the public ground. I bow hunt right by that area. I dont riffle hunt but I know that area gets hit pretty hard durning gun season. I would suggest hitting an area with alot of woods and getting in the middle of them. Let the weekend yuppies spook the deer towards you, I can promise you there are some big bucks roaming around that lake. Go to Google Earth and select Hillsdale Lake Kansas and you canview the area pretty well. On the North side of the lake put your pointer on 38 41.25.32 thats a pretty nice patch of woods. I would get there well before sun up. Hope you can scout it out a bit before gun season.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

excellent.....thanks

we actually get in (if we get drawn) on the opening day and will stay until the close of the season.....first few days will be trail cams, scouting, tree stand hanging etc...
Old 06-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, the north side of Hillsdale is pretty good. But like was said,expect to see a good amount of hunters, especially since you are rifle hunting. It's close to KC, so a lot of the local guys who don't have private land access will hunt it. Deffinately some good timber and great bucks in there though. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Kansas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.