Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another scent free question.... >

Another scent free question....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another scent free question....

Old 06-09-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Another scent free question....

I liked cougar mag's post about where we get dressed, and that spawned a question. Didn't wanna hi jack a good thread, so I'll just start another one.

I've heard of, and seen videos, where folks put on their carbon clothes at the stand site. I've also seen and heard of guys changing their sweaty socks and shirts at the stand as well. I understand not wanting to wear too many clothes walking in, that's obviously bad.....BUT, when changing clothes at the stand site, aren't we just stinking the place up? Wouldn't you want to be wearing your carbon suit for the walk in??

Old 06-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another scent free question....

I agree I believe that changing at the stand is a waist of time an is spreading around scent that does not need to be.

I keep my hunting clothes in a scent proof bags, put them on when I get readyto leave the camp.I wear my clothesloose to the stand an spray down with some scent eliminator at the stand an zip upafter I get in the tree an cool down for a few minutes.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not a carbon clothing guy, so it's not an issue .... I do, however spray with scent spray before walking in ... ALWAYS wear rubber boots, and when at stand, put on my garments, which had been already kept in a plactic bag and sprayed, and then I spray again .... and let me tell you .... I see plenty of deer ...... alot that'll come downwind of my stand as well ...
Old 06-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

I agree I believe that changing at the stand is a waist of time an is spreading around scent that does not need to be.
I'm not getting how I am spreading scent by putting on my last few layers at my stand???
Old 06-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

He did not say anything about putting on the last few layers. He was talking about change clothes at the stand. That is what I was responding too.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bow huntert

He did not say anything about putting on the last few layers. He was talking about change clothes at the stand. That is what I was responding too.
gotcha .... my bad ...
Old 06-09-2007, 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I've heard of, and seen videos, where folks put on their carbon clothes at the stand site. I've also seen and heard of guys changing their sweaty socks and shirts at the stand as well. I understand not wanting to wear too many clothes walking in, that's obviously bad.....BUT, when changing clothes at the stand site, aren't we just stinking the place up? Wouldn't you want to be wearing your carbon suit for the walk in??

I always do...and Ibelieve that you would leave sooo much scent at the base of your tree if you are changing , you might as well go home.

Best case scenario would be to carry your mid layers in a pack or strap them to your fanny pack. As you cool down while on stand , put that mid layer under your SL.
I always wear my SL on the walk in. The mid layer I carry in the cold weather is a fleece pullover. It only weighs about a pound. Today's insulating mid layer garments don't weigh much so they pack easily. I
don't worry about my legs unless it's really cold. Your legs are one of the warmest parts of your body because of the amount of muscle.

If it's bitter , bitter cold I dress warm and don't wear anything on my head. Not covering your noggen will keep you from sweating during a hike as long as you don't over exert yourself.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

to be perfectly honest with you, I didn't realize that some guys actually undressed and dressed in their stand ........ that makes NO sense to me ...
Old 06-09-2007, 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

to be perfectly honest with you, I didn't realize that some guys actually undressed and dressed in their stand ........ that makes NO sense to me ...
That's what I'm sayin.......I saw a video, in fact I believe it was the newest Drury video but I may be mistaken, and this one dude had clean, dry socks in a zip top bag which he changed before he climbed his tree.......I've also heard of guys changing their shirts. I understand the theory though.......Dry clothes = warm hunter, and sweaty clothes stink......

BUT, my thought is that you are just stinking the place up BADLY while changing clothes.......I also wear as little to the stand as I can get away with and add clothes as I cool down.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW, i would never dream of changing socks at stand location, i cant believe some do this!! talk about leaving a vapor trail dangling around. I pretty much dress with my outer layers at home or at the vehicle, It depends on if i stop at a greasy spoon first dress loose as others have stated to keep cooler, and take my time going in. dont like wearing my boots while gassing up either.

Quick Reply: Another scent free question....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.