Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you Remember your first time? >

Do you Remember your first time?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you Remember your first time?

Old 06-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do you Remember your first time?

He reaches down, grabs my hand and pulls me up. As soon as I at the top, I see a mature buck and a doe, maybe 25-30 yards away at the most.
Nowadays, I can close my eyes and see the whole image still so clear. It's an image that will stay with me forever.
I can see why.

Man....this is some good stuff!

And Rob....

That photo of the bull was taken out of the same tree I was in the afternoon we hunted together. He proceeded to walk by the tree you were in at no more than 5yds. I'd asked 2 people to hunt with me, that day. Both declined (including Mitch....who opted to sleep). I had no tag.......

Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Bartender

Had to be 1984 with Dad. We were driving his bronco downa fire lane when 3 does come racing across it right in front of us. Dad yells STOPPP
of course and I ablige and almost send us in to the bank due to snow cover. He gets outs loads his gun and says turn around go back up that hill we came down and wait 10 minutes and come back. SLAMS the door shut and im like WTF he always stated when you get out dont slam the dang door. Well I turn around and no sooner get driving up that hill and hear BAM. So I turn around and get up to him and he says what are you doing back I said wait 10 minutes. I told him I heard a shot and he said it was him but he wanted to have it gutted by the time I get back. So I just sat there likea dazed 18 yr old then he laughed and said just teezing about the gutted part and then made me do it. He made me do it because 3-4 hours prior I got my first gun buck and as he put it had to gut the damn thing lol. Turns out that buck stayed back and waited to see if we were going to leave before crossing and whenI left thought we were gone. Well anyways the buck was a 4 1/2 yr old buck 8 pointer.
Not huge but for public timber company land thats a mature buck running around. I learned a lot that first year and the ol buck went down to someone who just was a tad smarter that year. Well I now have those antlers in my garage since dads passing past March and someday I will get one up north on that public land that matches.
To date just like every year, DNR ahhh year n half buck lol
Those in Wi know what im talking about.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

Atleast i can see the big body but its hard to see much antler or any.
[/blockquote]

BBH, seeing a real bull mature buck has nothing to do with the antler he carries, sometimes he's on a downhill slide and is dwarfed by younger deer buck when you see one, you know it....

yes i shot a deer two years ago....was a forky....and antlers were all deformed looking (kinda cool actually)...we thought he was just a freak, but his teeth were almost all the way worn down...he was anchent...very little skinny body...i first thought he was just a 2 or 3 year old....but he was on his way down...
Old 06-07-2007, 01:41 PM

this year actually...was diggin in my backpack for a snack and looked up and there he was twenty years from me...broad side...woulda been a perfect shot but i live in wisconsin and i can thank earn a buck for not filling my buck tag
Old 06-07-2007, 01:48 PM

ok guys here is the second story, its the second weekend of september and I am in the Beartooth Mountains just outside of red Lodge MT. I am hunting elk and am in a meadow at about 10,000 ftelevation there is a small patch of aspens right in the middle of the meadow that are maybe 30yds x 30 yds and there are 3 different wallows within bow range of these aspens so I head into them about 10 yds and just sit down with my back to a tree and I am watching these wallows. I am there for about an hour and I havent seen a thing and I can hear some thing behind me in the aspens. I turn around and all I can see are horns and I mean everywhere pointing in every direction and they are on on top of a giant muley and hes no more than 30 yds from me and I cant move I mean i try but I just cant I am shaking and I have so much adrenaline going through me that I think I am going to burst and the muley is there for what seems like an hour but was probably a minute or 2 and he just turns and walks away. I mean I could not believe that just happened and I didnt even attempt a shot 30 yds broadside and no clue that I am there. I wouldnt even attempt to guess what this thing would have scored or how many points that it had, but I know that I will never see anything that massive again, that was the first non typical that I had ever seen,and I blew my chance. I still see that brute standing there every time someone brings up muleys. The worst part is when I get home and tell my wife she starts ragging on me what do you mean you froze and didnt take a shot, she still teases me about it and that was almost 4 years ago. Ok I need to go cry now.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

OH BOY, long time ago, im 41 now and was about 18 or 19 when i seen my first official mature buck, he was dogging a doe, he had one side of his rack snapped off, they came by at a quick trot, i was young and tried to make the shot while he passed at 15 yards shaving hair off his belly just behind the front leg. []I still can see it clearly in my head, somebody stop the maddness!! [X(][8D]
Old 06-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The first mature buck I saw ever, we kicked it up when we were pheasant hunting in Niagara county .... his back was chocolate brown and looked as wide as a sofa ..... he jumped about 20 yards from us ... his huge circular rack was dark and was as wide as his back ..... I was 12, and I hadNEVER seen a buck like that again .....until.....................

About 20 years later, I was bowhunting in SW NY in Sherman .... we hunted the morning and back in the stand for the afternoon .... about 2:30, it sounded like and infantry was coming through the woods .... I was on the edge of group of tall pines and muxed hardwoods .... blowdowns in front of me .... more woods beyond that .... bedding area infront and to the left of me ....... I look towards the noise and her comes the biggest buck I have seen to date ..... I mean that sucker was MASSIVE .. he dwarfed the doe he was running with big time .... so they break through the woods across from me, running into the blowdown area .... right towards me .... then all of a sudden the slammed on the breaks and looked right up at me!!! I swear to you guys, I didn't move a muscle for him to see me ....... before they even came to a full stop, they exited, stage right ...... [&o]
Old 06-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yup, the second day of my Alberta hunt last season I rattled in a MONSTER buck, the first truely mature buck I'd ever seen while bowhunting. He got as close as 19yrds but didn't offer a clear shot. He was a real thick 10pt and probably 300lbs or more. He was a horse. I'll never forget that buck!!
Then on my next to my last day of my hunt I was able to take an OK 8pt that also was a 300lber. I wouldn't call my buck mature though, especially for Alberta.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its like a picture that was imprinted in my head. It is the second week of bow season this year and i know there is a big buck on this ridge andI know he travels it every day. SO i get there on a south west wind ( what i though was right) and it blew right down the ridge into my face like it was supposed to. about 6:00 i turn and look behing me and there is a doe standing there and he is right beside her. I went straight to his horns since i couldnt see his body through the bushes. Well as always the wind is now in his face and the doe gets wind of me. He turns makes two jumps with the doe and they are gone. THen the week of november 20 my birhtday week and rut weeks i am back there on the 23. I get in the stand and deer start pouring out of everywhere. THere are 10 in front of me feeding on the acorns and the wind is right i knew it would be a special day. Its gettin dark and the deer all scatter very very fast. I know this i saw it before. The man is here and they dont want any part of him. Sure enough he comes down the ridge just like he is supposed toand he weighs a good 230 lbs but wait this isnt the same deer he is wide. No shot at all and i have never seen him again but i have seen the one that haunted me the first time on the camera.

I then went to illinois in october and it was hot action. There i am the first day with a pope and young beside me but i pass then two days later i saw the first 140 class deer ever come right to me 17 yards broadside. I settle in and everything is perfect thwap right in the shoulder he gets away with something sililar to a bad bee sting[&o].

Well heere is the picture as best as you can see it of the one i saw first here in north carolina. Main frame 8 with double brows and a kicker off of his g2

Old 06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The hunting season was in the early 70's around1973.Dad an I had went down to my grandparents house to go deer hunting. The rain was falling pretty good an I had my fathers yellow rain jacket on. The jacket was about 200 times to big for me. We were in a stand about 75 yards apart. My relatives were doing a deer drive. I looked an saw 5 deer coming towards me. The last one was a small buck, shot an missed.I looked to my left,still can recall a deer standing there with antlers past both sides of his ears. I counted 12 points. I started trying to put another shell in my single shot 20 gauge. I dropped all the shells on the ground. I looked back up an he was not standing there. Needless to say I had BUCK FEVER!!