Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many guys.... >

How many guys....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many guys....

Old 06-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many guys....

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

What I am saying isif we don't shoot a buck it is because we didn't put ourselves in position to make it happen, no matter the size of buck you are after......or did not execute when the moment arrived...... plain and simple.
I agree 100%
Old 06-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Now lets add the Geographic excuses to the list.
Good point, Moho!

Seriously......do you think those type of points have merit?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also agree. I pass up many bucks during a season because I am usually hunting a certain buck. If I dont put that buck in front of me I failed. I have failed many more times than not. It takes nothing away from the expierence.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: shed33

What I am saying isif we don't shoot a buck it is because we didn't put ourselves in position to make it happen, no matter the size of buck you are after......or did not execute when the moment arrived...... plain and simple.
I agree 100%
Me too

Either I shot one oreat tag soup.I like a little garlic with mysoup
Old 06-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Now lets add the Geographic excuses to the list.
Good point, Moho!

Seriously......do you think those type of points have merit?
Obviously graphic location can greatly affect the outcome of deer size. Kansas has one of the fewest deer population numbers in the country. You see 400 deer in a season, I might see 50.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Moho...

You've likely been whereI am in terms of the life stages of a hunter, though (deer). I like where I am, now.....but I'd trade numbers for quality in a minute.....in a couple of years. In fact....it's what I'm trying to accomplish by managing the herd I hunt a little better.

I'd like to get to the point with the herd here......where I see FAR fewer deer....but better ratios. I haven't poken to my biologist about long-term goals....YET. We'll see how the short-term goes, first.

I'm thinking it'll get better and better......and if no more new development takes away their feeding grounds....I hope to have some better ratios and possibly some 130" deer here in 5 years.

That's what I'm working towards.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

I agree 100%
Me too

If the buck you are after spends a morning chasing a doe around your stand but never stops or even slows down enough in a spot where you can shoot him, how is that a failure of yours? I would personally chalk the experience up as a success with some bad luck mixed in.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: Germ

I agree 100%
Me too

If the buck you are after spends a morning chasing a doe around your stand but never stops or even slows down enough in a spot where you can shoot him, how is that a failure of yours? I would personally chalk the experience up as a success with some bad luck mixed in.
I totally agree with you guys. Most of us (including me) have shot deer that we shouldn't have, or wouldn’t shoot again, would probably be more accurate. Most times new hunters do this before they learn about the deer/herd, and learn to enjoy the hunt. Then before they really understand what they're learning they still pop off a few. After a short time, they don't enjoy simply shooting whatever passes in front of them. After all, once you shoot one the hunt is many times over, and that is the fun part. I don't really feel like ending my hunt because of a deer I'd rather not shoot. I’m still picturing the big boy coming out from around the corner at any moment, I mean, I know he’s here somewhere… So we change our goals and our actions. Then the others make statements about excuses... and many times that is what they are. But lets not miss the big picture either. Sure we wanted the big boy, and he didn’t show… failure I guess, but not as much a failure as killing a young buck and feeling guilty about it.

Anyone can go out and kill whatever crosses their path, that's easy. It's the holding out and truly challenging yourself that is hard, but also worth it.

Besides, if it were easy, they’d call it killing; not hunting, and we’d all grow tired of it. Probably, pretty quickly…
Old 06-07-2007, 11:51 AM

I had no idea Kansas deer population was that low, I always just figured you guys had tons of them because you always here about the bruisers from KS. I guess the size doesnt have a whole lot to do with the numbers of deer.

but I agree with what most are saying size is not an excuse, neither is geographic region. you have to know your deer and if your not seeing the big boy that your after then its time to rethink your strategy and setup. I on the other hand just simply blew a 25 yard broadside shot at a nice 8 point no excuses just bad shot. I hope he visits my stand this year because I wont make that bad shot again
Old 06-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver
I guess I should qualify my group A, B, C classifications - being as P.C. as I can be - let's just say that Pennsylvania has a "unique" set of circumstances, and hunting around here is quite different than what a lot of y'all are accustomed to.
Fran, that could be the understatement of the week. Hunting in PA is an adventure, especially on public land.

You also forgot the group of PA hunters that have inheirited land to hunt and have exclusive rights to farms that nobody else hunts and shoot 140" bucks each year and think they are Mark and Terry Drury. I have more respect for the guy that goes out and tracks down a 120" 3.5 year old on public land than a guy that shoots a 160" out of Aunt Mary's garden that nobody else has access to.

That's not to say that the other guy isn't hunting or hunting hard, but to find a 3.5 year old on public land in PA and take him is truly a feat to be proud of because that is one educated and cagey deer.

Quick Reply: How many guys....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.