Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent lok

Old 06-03-2007, 09:48 AM

Default RE: Scent lok

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

in my personal opinion i would say yes...........you can pick up some pants and a shirt..etc...on ebay perty cheap.......don't pay full price...i am young as well and don't have lots to spend....but ebay was the ticket for me.........do some research first as to what type of clothing you need,ie for hot weather, cold etc. then look for those items. if you are going to hunt in the hot weather make sure to get light gear., i usually just wear a base layer, but make sure if you are going to walk around with them on that you have a layer under that to help with the "sweat" some sort of wickening layer to keep from your sweat getting on the scent lok or blocker suit....either scent lok or scent blocker will work fine ( to eliminate "some" of your scent)...follow directions to the TEE....keep in scent lok bag and dry according to directions to make them have a long life span
Thanks, I live in Alberta and webow season goes from beginning of september when it's +30c to end of november when it's -30c, so would I need a light and a heaveir set?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would think so yes......how do you hunt? (tree stand, spot and stalk, backpacking?), do you have to walk a long ways to your spot or just drive close by and a short walk? do you camp or hunt from home?......with these answers i may be able to better see which ones you may need, IMO
Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 06-03-2007, 09:58 AM

A bit of both spot and stalk and blind
Old 06-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

All I can say from my 20+ years is play the WIND!
Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

then yes...you may be able to buy one of the "middle" range gear that is for moderate temps around like 70 degrees or so.....or you can buy the warm suits (base layer or just the savannah styles) then any of the thicker combos for the colder weather.....for spot and stalk in the warm weather just make sure to wear something under the clothes to wicken out your sweat because the carbon suits will hold in moisture....

good luck
Old 06-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry JNTURK,

I wasn't going to comment on something that has been beat to death, and was thinking that if Riffer has money to blow let him get the Scent-Lok. At least it might have a placebo effect and give a hunter a mental edge (if not a scent edge).

. . . . But then I saw that you are on a budget. Don't waste a limited budget on a scent suit. If it does work, it is the first time you wear it. You cannot "reactivate" it, that is a proven fact. I have some, and it is heavy, hot (the carbon does have good insulating properties I will give it that), and I'm thankful to have afforded my way to a new suit this year. Anyway, you are much better off spending your money on good gear, and going through a good scent control regimen. For example, if you leave your scent-lok suit out at your house or go to a big greasy spoon breakfast in them before the hunt, you will stink up your stand just like you would in the cheapest pair of camo coveralls. Also, rubber boots are real good at minimizing scent. I had an old pair of leather/mesh/gore-tex boots and 2 deer busted me when coming across my trial. I saw there heads down sniffing. I quit wearing those types of boots because with every step air comes out of the leather and mesh. Similarly, the silver ion layers are better than carbon suits in my opinion, b/c they actually prevent the odor causing bacteria from forming. They aren't perfect, but help. I do wear Enduraskin as a base layer and wear X-Scent socks. If you doubt X-Scent socks and have stank feet, try a pair and you will be a believer. I'm rambling, but maybe you get the point.

If you are really curious about this topic, just use the search command and you will find pages and pages of guys going at it on this topic. I think it is fair to say that more people than not on this site are not "believers."

This is like an argument about religion or politics, my mind is made up about this and it ain't changing. [&:]
Old 06-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sportsfann

All I can say from my 20+ years is play the WIND!
I agree, on the days that I had the wind on my side, I saw lots of deer. On the days I didn't, no deer at all. I think it might help by giving hunters more confidence which translates into people stayingout in the woods longer. my 2 cents....
Old 06-03-2007, 02:59 PM

I believe it tohave misleading claims, it is expensive, and I have not used itin 10 years. I bought one of the original carbon suits from Scent Blocker, Robinson Labs. Joke. Never have since.

You are from the North you may want to spend that same $ on Arctic Shield clothing. That is some good stuff for cold weather. And there are other quality clothing lines. Sitka Mountain Gearhappens to make awesome clothes, and I sell it. (disclosure)

I do just fine without carbon thing.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with you Lebeauhunter.....................to an extant

it will not work 100%, you cannot "reactivate it" that is impossible......and they will not last you a lifetime.....but it gives me an edge....and for the same price i pay for a camo pair of pants (good pair) i can buy a base layer and have an "edge" all the while using scent free techniques (shower, spray--before putting on scent lok, etc).....so i asked myself-why not?....i spend all my money and time persuing MR. BIG...why not give me that little edge that may or may not make the difference. but if it did make the difference and i didn't have it!!???

as for hunting the "wind"....unfortunately in CA hunting public land---spot stalk, or still hunting you cannot hunt the wind 99% of the time....the wind is constantley changing and swirling up and down the valley, on tops of the ridges, etc...so for me , that is really not an option....

i do believe you can regenerate "some" of the carbon as the bonds holding your "scent" will break in the presence of high heat, chemicals (acid/base) etc........if i didn't believe in this i would not buy the product, but i do so that is why i buy it...

Quick Reply: Scent lok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.