Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fred Bear Truth vs Bowtech Tomkat vs Hoyt Powertec >

Fred Bear Truth vs Bowtech Tomkat vs Hoyt Powertec

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fred Bear Truth vs Bowtech Tomkat vs Hoyt Powertec

Old 06-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Spike

Default Fred Bear Truth vs Bowtech Tomkat vs Hoyt Powertec

I went to a proshop today to browse a little and these are the three bows I have narrowed it down to. I found info on both bows except fot the Hoyt. Does anyone know the IBO speed for the Hoyt? I couldnt find the 2006 models on their website.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:40 AM

Default RE: Fred Bear Truth vs Bowtech Tomkat vs Hoyt Powertec

I would completely take the Truth out of the equation.

The only reason I say this is because of the way the cam is put together. There is a bolt on the cam that one of the cables attaches to. This bolt has a tendancy to slip after the release, causing something similar to a dry fire. Not only is this scary when it happens, but it requires the entire cam to be replaced, as the bolt digs a pretty significant gash into the alluminum.

This has happened three times at the store, twice with the Instinct, once with the Truth. Two of the times it happened to employees (I was one of them.)

After narrowing it down that far, it would just come down to which bow felt best to you.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:14 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Dan

You must be talking the allen wrenchheaded bolt for micro adjustingthedraw length ?? I've shot my Instinct a lot and had no problem. Mine is slide all the way forward though as I needed it therefor my draw length. There is no way it could slip in this position

Could be4 things.

1. The blot isn't tighten enough to start with when the bow was setup.

2. The bolt was over tightened and threads are stripped.

3. The nut is coming loose. I just check mine and it is good and tight. If it were a problem for me I would Loc-tite it.

4. The special lock washer is put on backwards not letting it dig in to the cam as intended. Looks likeit is suppose to go on a certain way from what I see looking at my bow.

What did Bear say about this when you sent the bows back or question them on it??

Tim

Old 06-02-2007, 01:51 AM

Tim,

They didn't say anything. We called and they simply said "Ship the cam back, a new one is on the way."

Other than this bolt issue, Bear makes a good bow. They all shoot well, don't get me wrong. I'll double check tomorrow to see how the bolt is set in the slot, as I was the one to replace the cam this go-around.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:23 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Dan

Thanks for bringing it up. They come set in the middle of the slot.Something like this is good to know. I had change mine right away after I got it.

My Pro shop owner has soldsomewhere around 30 Instincts. Granted he is not a big dealer with our low population in this area but he is very happy with the Bearbows as of lateand especially the Instinct and the Truth. I'll have to ask him next time if there has been any problems. Usually he is very good to warn you and I just talked to him a few weeks ago. He is shooting the Truth and loves it for league and 3D. Keeps commenting about shooting the pants of bowtech and matthews shooters. He is going to be hunting with an Instinct himselfthis fall.

And just so you know, he was shootingParker when I bought my Instinct. I follow no one... they follow me !!

Tim
Old 06-02-2007, 03:31 PM

I shoot a Hoyt Powertec and absolutely love it! I believe the IBO is 304 fps. Very smooth, quiet, and fast!!!

Rich
Old 06-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Think you r missing something the new PSE X-Force, might want to take a look if your looking for speed, quite, and smooth try it out.