Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best Hunting Arrow >

Best Hunting Arrow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Hunting Arrow

Old 05-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best Hunting Arrow

huntingbry...

Hell these guys know me.....and they aren't fearing for a deer's ife past 25 yds

Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Also.....shouldn't heavier = quieter?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

There is no downside to using a heavier arrow.
I'd have to disagree with that. For guys out west they need a balance of good weight to maintain momentum and decent speed since shots tend to be longer. If an arrow is extremely heavy the drop on from 40 to 45 yards will be significant. Having a flatter trajectory could be the difference between a clean kill or a clean miss.
My reply was more in line with hunting in the eastern woods so I can't speak for out west. But, if you can hit your spot with a heavy arrow at 45 yards what difference does the trajectory make? I would also say, based on comments by very experienced archers/hunters, that the heavier arrow will be carrying more momentum at a longer range and thus have better penetration.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Also.....shouldn't heavier = quieter?
Yes, it does. It also utilizes the enrgy of your bow more efficiently, one reason it = quieter.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your using 125 up front, then a 3-71 would be the right spine for you. You won't be at 475, I am guessing 430ish total.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:57 PM

one with a slick trick on the tip
Old 05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

If your using 125 up front, then a 3-71 would be the right spine for you. You won't be at 475, I am guessing 430ish total.
Add me a 6" reflective wrap......3 Blazers.....a lumenok "to go", RJ. You're better at math, than me!

What's that gonna register?
Old 05-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

There is no downside to using a heavier arrow.
I'd have to disagree with that. For guys out west they need a balance of good weight to maintain momentum and decent speed since shots tend to be longer. If an arrow is extremely heavy the drop on from 40 to 45 yards will be significant. Having a flatter trajectory could be the difference between a clean kill or a clean miss.
My reply was more in line with hunting in the eastern woods so I can't speak for out west. But, if you can hit your spot with a heavy arrow at 45 yards what difference does the trajectory make? I would also say, based on comments by very experienced archers/hunters, that the heavier arrow will be carrying more momentum at a longer range and thus have better penetration.
I hunt out west, andhunt with the heavy arrow. I would prefer a clean miss, than a hit with aflat trajectory arrow, if that arrow lacked sufficient momentum to get the job done. My hunting arrow is afeatheredArrow Dynamics Big Game shaft, tipped with a 220 grain Muzzy SS - total arrow weight, 544 grains. A little on the light side for some, others would ask 'what am I hunting? Godzilla?' So - arrow selection is something of (perphaps the very definition of) a personal matter. Yes, heavier arrows are quieter off the bow,maintain momentumbetter (theymaintain velocity better as well),and havegreater potential for pentration (among other things) than its twin in a lighter version - but on the other hand, it (the heavy arrow) is slower off the bow andwilldrop more rapidly (among other things)....
Old 05-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bruce and bow hunter44 I agree with your points about penetration. From my original post:

For guys out west they need a balance of good weight to maintain momentum and decent speed since shots tend to be longer.
It's a balancing act for some guys to have good weight for penetration, yet not sacrifice too much speed by lobbing logs. For some it is just as bow hunter said, "personal preference" to go lighter or heavier. And when I was referring to lighter arrows I meant in the 450 grain range. My arrows I consider to be very light, but with my short draw and arrow selection that is what I have. I've looked into heavier arrows, but don't want to get away from ACCs.

And as the others have said, yes a heavier arrow will absorb the energy more efficiently and be quieter.

Dang it you guys, now you got me wanting to get heavier arrows.[:@] The wife is not going to like that.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang it you guys, now you got me wanting to get heavier arrows.[:@] The wife is not going to like that.
LOL They never do .

The arrow I am shooting now and will be using this fall is 534 grains. Itwill havea 220 gr muzzy phantom, blazers, 17% FOC and I get about 236FPS. Kinetic energy runs about 66 according to the software. At 40 yards it hits the target and sounds like someone is punching it. I also made some arrows with a heavy insert (same shaft)so that I could use different 125 gr broadheads (slick trick and crimson talon). These are fun arrows .

Quick Reply: Best Hunting Arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.