Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Summer Scouting and Prep Tips? >

Summer Scouting and Prep Tips?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Summer Scouting and Prep Tips?

Old 05-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Summer Scouting and Prep Tips?

How many of you guys start scouting right now and what do you do to prepare this early?

Just interested in seeing what prep schedules are like for the fall. I personally have checked my ladder stands to make sure they're in good shape and secure, have my trail cam out and put minerals out. Will put my blinds out in late July and do some trimming so the deer get used to each.

I'd be interested in any valuable tips anyone has related to scouting and prep for this early in the year as well.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Summer Scouting and Prep Tips?

I am all done walking around scouting.

Now I will just glass fields from a safe distance.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have at least 3 more spots to walk over thoroughly.. due to the snow finally being gone in these areas..the shed hunting and scouting will be as good as some of my lower elevation spots that are already greened up.

Staring in mid June throughlate August, I will change gears and begin doing like Germ.. scouting with the binocs on favorable food sources for bucks.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

NOrmally I've been running around the last month scouting while turkey hunting. I got one real early this year, so I haven't gotten much of any scouting in. not a huge deal, I already know my areas pretty well. I will take a walk thru one farm that has recently been logged to see how it looks.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

depending on the area..i have an area that holds good deer that stay local all year they don't migrate..i scout them yearly and usually use trail cams starting now to get there patterns down...for those that migrate i usually will start once the temp stays the same (mid june) i will be in the woods seeing where they move to and from....water is going to be a big key for me this year in CA...not too much rain and lots of season streams have been dry for quit a while..
Old 05-17-2007, 11:55 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

From late winter until Spring we arescouting and getting to know our hunting areas better during shed hunting. Since it is open here, I like knowing how to sneak into an area or out after the hunt without being seen or winded. It doesn't matter how good a spot is if you messed up on your entry or exit. The hunt is over with the bigger bucks being the wiser.

Now that most deer have filtered back to their normal haunts from wintering other places... it's time to stay out. We are taking a break until mid July before we hit scouting hard. Well we are paying attention to what crops are being planted where. That will help usdecide where to setupfor long range scoutingwhen we get serious about it. Then we will be watching bedding areas and food sources.

We mainly concentrate on the bedding areas though. With crops being their main feeding areas... things will changed from summer food sources to fall sources. The bedding areaswill stay the same for both time frames.

Example... the deer will hit the soybeans during the summer. They will be hitting the greened up harvestedwheat/barleyfields the start of bow season ( 1st of Sept )when the soybean " plant "starts to dry down. Deerdon't feed in the soybeans much at this time. Once the soybeans seeds harden in the pods( mid - late Sept )and the corn kernals harden ( 1st of Oct )then the deer will startfeeding there.

By long range scouting during mid to late summer... we know what bucks are bedding where. We plan our hunts and how we think they will use the area getting to the appropiate food source during a certaintime frame in the fall. Things change so much, so fast here in the fall. You need to know where the deer will be at a certain time frame. An area can have a ton of fairly fresh deer sign but it doesn't do you much good if you hunt it a week late.

To show you how anal we are with time frames. The " Bulk "of Velvet Shedding normal takes place duringthe end of Augustthrough the 12th of Sept with the 4th - 8th of Septbeing the hot days forrubbing from what I've seen. If we have tree/shrub patches by good bedding area we will huntthose areas during the 4th - 8th... hoping to catch a buck coming in to rub his velvet off. You will not find us hunting trees otherwise until pre-rut or rut. The bucks don't spent much time in the few tree areas we have otherwise since there are no mast bearing trees in my area. Trees are not a food source here.

We hunt off the ground. Not much for prep work other then picking ambush spots while scouting using thenatural cover that is there. We have a few ladder stands that will be movedor put up in Juneto be ready for velvet rubbing. Otherwise not much other then scouting, practicing shooting and getting our gear ready for hunting.

Sorry if this got windy and it isn't much help to most since our area andearly startingbow season is not the norm for most here. Justlove the scouting/plotting aspect of hunting.

Tim

Old 05-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tim you and I hunt about as opposite ends of the spectrum as far as whitetail habitat goes .... I sure do like reading your replies no matter how long winded they are. That description painted a clear picture of what you and Tyler are dealt .... why and how you attack it! Good info, thanks for sharing..

No matter where they live, whitetails still need.. feed, security cover/ beds and water.. Its amazing how well they have adapted and thrivedin such diverse ecosystems..