Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What buck haunts you??? >

What buck haunts you???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What buck haunts you???

Old 05-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What buck haunts you???

While reading Buckeye's post I got to thinking of the buck that got away and haunts me. I have a number of them but the worst was a 4.5 or 5.5 year old with 5 points on his left side and a jumbled mass of tines going in every direction on the right. I have no idea what he would have scored, but he had the most unique rack I have ever seen in the woods. He stood 30 yards from my tree for 20 minutes grunting in the fog until he finally presented me with a good shot at 25 yards. I hit him right in the shoulder blade and the arrow didn't penetrate. Not only is he the only deer that I have ever wounded, but he was one heck of a buck. The extremely frustrating thing is I swear that arrow would have been in the 10 ring on a 3D target. I don't know how it didn't go in. It has been 4 years but I think of him almost every time I think about hunting.

Anyone else???
Old 05-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What buck haunts you???

My dream deer is a nice buck with drop tines on both sides. I never in a million years thought i would have an opportunity at one. Well 2 seasons ago, i heard of one that was living on one of the properties i hunt. The land owner saw him two or three times, a local cop saw him once and my buddy saw him once. Well i decided it was him or nothing for that property. Well i ended up getting nothing, but i did have him stand about 70-80 yards out for about a half hour with spike and a big 8 point. He was a main frame 10 point with drops on both sides and was probably 155-165, my dream deer. My buddy ended up starting to hunt there and missed him one afternoon TWICE! I guess he came into a scrape, he shot and missed, then the deer bounded off 10 yards and stopped broadside again. He shot again and missed. He later found out that this sight was loose. That buck haunts him as well. We named him Stickers. Neither of us saw him last year and didnt find his sheds, but we never find any sheds so that doesnt mean anything. God i hope he is still alive. We didnt hear of anyone harvesting him or getting hit by a car, and its a tiny town so we probably would have found out about it if he was killed.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I wounded a deer (hit him in the leg) on 9/12 of last year. I saw him again for the first time......the day after Thanksgiving. I saw him again.....the last day of the season. I've seen him twice since the season ended......but not since December.

He doesn't "haunt" me.....but we have a history. I'd love to take him, this season.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

4 years ago we had this buck we named Whitey. He had this big thick Bone white rack. I had seen him twice that season before I got a crack at him. I went hunting the weekend before Christmas,I got up in my stand before light and waited. After about an hour I see him comming right at me. At 20 yards he turns broadside and stops.I let the arrow fly and watch in total horror as it just misses low. Then the buck turns and slowley walks away.[:@]
To find out 6 months latera guy across the road shot him Christmas morning he scored 168
Old 05-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The buck that haunts me the most was back in the early 80's. I was hunting on the ground and my dad, who was squirrel hunting, jumped him up. I first saw him about 150 yards away and on a trail that would take right in front of me at no more than 15 yards. The buck continued on the trail and I came to full draw when he dropped into a little drain holler. When came up my side he stoped broadside and to this day I have no idea where my pin was when I turned the string loose. The arrow sailedright over the bucks back and he only ran about 20 yards and stopped and looked back over his butt at me. But by the time that I nocked another arrow he was gone and out of my life forever. Back in those days none of my buddies had seen let alone killeda deer of this size. He was a perfest mainframe 10 pointthat I'm guessing would've score in the 130's. I would've been a legend in my own time.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

No bucks haunt me, I haunt them or atleast I must because they run so fast away when they see me.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's 1 ..but like Barry Bonds..I have no further comment!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is one buck that really haunts me. He was one that to this day, I thought was hit in the sweet spot on a quartered away angle. I didn't see him go down, but where he went was very thick so I didn't think much of it. We waited seven hours to go after him, trailed him for about 1/2 mile until we lost the trail. We went back the next day and grid searched and still nothing.

I know I must have hit one lung,and somehow missed the other. But I still can't believe it since I saw where the arrow impacted.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Was on stand one evening in Southern Illinois about 8 years ago. Had a spike come in from behind me and walk right past my tree 8 yards away. Not long after I see an absolute monster coming down the same path. I start to get set up for the shot where the spike traveled. Well, the monster decided to take a different route. He walked behind this little knoll into a thick area to my right and I lost sight of him. 20 minutes went by and I still don't see him. I guess he's gone. I sit back down, put my bow in the holder attached to my climber, scan the area again and look in front of me.....THERE HE IS...broadside, right in the open, 24 yards away. I quickly (but carefully) stand up, grab my bow, draw and release. In a rush, I misjudge the yardage and shot right over his back. He bounds away to about 60 yards and looks at me. I'm not sure how many points he had but he was massive with 12" or more G2's and he was a few inches past his ears in width. I killed a 150 class deer last year and the one that got away would have dwarfed him. I don't even want to think what he would have scored. Haunts me to this day.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

One from about 10 years ago that I could not get a shot at. I had him within 25 yards and less, two days in a row during the rut! First day the only place to put a treestand in and he stays exactly behind me, the only place an arrow could not get through. Next day I hide on the ground and all I need is two more steps but noooooooooooooooooooooo, he wouldn't do it. A 160" or better.[]

Quick Reply: What buck haunts you???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.