Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the dumbest thing you ever did? >

What's the dumbest thing you ever did?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the dumbest thing you ever did?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default What's the dumbest thing you ever did?

This doesn't have to pertain to hunting, just outdoors happenings. My wife will tell you that the stupidest thing she saw me do was last year when I was cutting some brush out of the edge of the yard. It was right before dark and I had my chainsaw going when I felt something bite me. I turned my saw off to see what it was. That's when I noticed that I was being swarmed by yellow jackets. I ran to the house as fast as I could with bees all over me. My wife met me at the door and shoved me back in the garage and said " You aren't coming into this house with all those bees on you" I was being stung over and over again. So she says take your clothes off and I'll let you in. I did. I got inside and she swatted the last few bees that were in my hair and on my back.. Now I was pretty mad. I had been stung somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 -60 times. I thought I would pull a fast one on those bees and went back out there after dark with some gas. I found there hole in the ground and torched it. Done deal I thought. I went to work the next day and when I got home I thought I would check and see if there were any bees left. I didn't see and flying around and I kind of had to pee, so I whipped "tiny" out and peed into the hole to express my distaste for those stupid bees. Wouldn't you know it there was one stinkin bee left in that darn hole. He flew out in a straight line and stung me right on my "other head" if you know what I mean. That REALLY hurt! My wife can't tell this stroy without laughing herself to tears.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's the dumbest thing you ever did?

Too darn many to mention and I'm still doing them.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you ever tried to scratch your back with an arrow? Don't do it if there is a broadhead on it. I didn't realize at first that I sliced myself. My wife asked me why I was bleeding. Nothing requiring stitches thank goodness. Dumber than a bag of hammers! BTW, ruined a perfectly good work shirt.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago I was hunting in mid December in Illinois on a private farm. I was stalking an area where does usually bedded on one side of heavily wooded pond that stretched about 150 yards in length and about 50 yards in width.

It took about an hour for me, on a slow stalk,to get to a good vantage point where I saw that their were no deer in the usual beds. I decided to try and creep up to another bedding areaabout another 1/2 a mile away. But I knew If I could cross the pondI could save myself a good half hour at least.

So here I am (being stupid) lying face down on about 2 inches of ice crossing a 50 yard distance trying to reach the other side.I was lying face down to spread my weight (FYI). Half way across I slid my bow to the other side when suddenly the ice made a loud crack and actually felt the entire pond shift! Now I am fully dressedin overalls, boots, winter jacket etc.!! If I go under I don't know that I could lift myself up...(yeah, this was a dumb idea!)

Eventually I made it to the other side.. took a huge sigh of relief.. and never told my girlfriend about the incident.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last weekend I shot myself in the foot with a nail gun does that count.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Left my dodge in neutral, purley by accident right after starting it one morning before work. Looked out in the dark aftegoing back into the house....and saw lights going down our steep driveway ...fast... I said to my wife "there goes Danny" (our 1 neighbor) then I remembered Dan doesnt have clearance lights on his ford... OUCH... my pickup rolled down through our field and into the creek bottom....... By the grace of God it rolled perfectly into a huge patch of brush which broke the momentum and stopped it without to much damage..ended up replacing the bumper..
Old 05-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Was fishing a bass tournament and after weigh in I had a bright idea and told my buddy to go to another boat ramp that was on the other side of the lake. There were about afifty boats in the tournament and thoughtI would be slick and beat the rush. It was dark but I thought it would be no problem getting to the other side. Well on the trek over I ran aground and had to get out of the boat and push it for what seemed like eternity. I finally got there about 2 hrs later to a pissed off friend and ashrunken sac.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm with RD, too many to mention.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:15 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

A few years ago I was hunting in mid December in Illinois on a private farm. I was stalking an area where does usually bedded on one side of heavily wooded pond that stretched about 150 yards in length and about 50 yards in width.

It took about an hour for me, on a slow stalk,to get to a good vantage point where I saw that their were no deer in the usual beds. I decided to try and creep up to another bedding areaabout another 1/2 a mile away. But I knew If I could cross the pondI could save myself a good half hour at least.

So here I am (being stupid) lying face down on about 2 inches of ice crossing a 50 yard distance trying to reach the other side.I was lying face down to spread my weight (FYI). Half way across I slid my bow to the other side when suddenly the ice made a loud crack and actually felt the entire pond shift! Now I am fully dressedin overalls, boots, winter jacket etc.!! If I go under I don't know that I could lift myself up...(yeah, this was a dumb idea!)

Eventually I made it to the other side.. took a huge sigh of relief.. and never told my girlfriend about the incident.

I got in the same typedeal while setting traps for muskrats quite a few years back in a large slough. It was 2 in the morning and I just had a couple houses and a little breather push up moundto set. I punch a hole into the little push up mound.Shined my flash light in to see if there was a place to set a trap. I noticed little bits ofdebris moving downin the water... at a fast pace!! [&:]It then dawn on me,I was over the old coulee bed and it would be deep and the ice pretty thin.

I had been doing an ice check with my hatchetevery so often as it was early in the winterand figured maybe it was time for another check. Hatchet went though on the first chop. [:@] I assumed the position, slid my5 gal bucket with traps/gear behind me as far as I could, and snow angeled my way out of there!!

The next day I went back to check traps. There was open water about15 feet from where Istopped.The batteries on the flash light were getting weak so I only used it while checking inside the huts and feeder pushup... not while walking.There was just enough moon light that the houses andpush up showed up. The open water didn't.

I was stupid for not quitting when the batteries started going.

Tim
Old 05-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I refuse to walk on ice even at the ruse of my friends. Thanks for the reminder why I don't.

Tom

Quick Reply: What's the dumbest thing you ever did?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.