Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spotting scope suggestions? >

Spotting scope suggestions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spotting scope suggestions?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Spotting scope suggestions?

OK gang... I'm thinking about another toy! I know, I know...

I'm thinking this would be a lot of fun to drive around with my boys and look at/for deer in the summertime as they feed in the fields.

Does anyone have any good suggestions or experience with a nice spotting scope? I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of $600-700.

I'm assuming these can clamp onto your rolled-down window, as well as mount onto a tripod?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Default RE: Spotting scope suggestions?

Look at the vortex line of optics. While I don't have one . YET! I look at them for over 2 hours at the wisconsin deer expo I also talked to a guy that was selling them there , not affiliated with the company. He also had swarovski and nikon glass to sell. I got tlking to him about spotting scopes and said I wanted the best I could get for scouting from the truck and on foot and He told me that the vortex was as good in every aspect as the swarovski at half the price and at least looking through them at the expo they were every bit as clear.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,

I have done a bit of research on this over the last few months, my new hunting cabin is almost done now and I have some views to a certain point on our property that is a known big buck feeding area just shy of 400 yards from the front door, as well as the whole way across the valley where I can often see deer feeding but don't know what they are.I also do a lot of scouting in the late summer from the car out to some of the other fields on the property where I am normally glassing 500-1000 yards out and my 8x42 Nikons aren't cutting it anymore. I plan to have a scope in the cabinby August.

If you can go just a bit above your statedprice range and for your use, I would highly suggest the Nikon Fieldscope series, specifically the 20-45 x 60. I know you are going on an elk hunt soon and I imagine other hunts in the future and this scope is one of the lightest scopes on the market right now for packing in, and reviews by the optics snobs are putting these on the same playing field as the big 3 (Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss). The Nikons will run you $750-$800 depending on where you buy and I can guarantee you will be happy with them, the guys over on opticsplanet.com really reviewed these well but really trashed a ton of others out there and usually those guys don't review much well that isn't from the big 3. Everything I have read on these really puts them in a league of being a lifetime purchase just as a set from any of the big 3 would.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cabelas Alaskan Guiede Scopes are really good also. For the Price they can not be beat.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat601579&id=0006299711361a&navCount=3&amp ;podId=0006299711361&parentId=cat601579&ma sterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH& amp;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat60157 9&hasJS=true

Yes I have one