Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Spotting scope?

Old 10-31-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Spotting scope?

I tried this in the optics page but got only limited responses. I thoughts I'd try here as well:

I'm in the market for a new spotting scope. I'm looking at top shelf stuff here. I need others opinions. I want a top of the line scope but of course I want the best bargain.

I've compared several scopes. I haven't been able to test Swarovski yet though. So far the best scopes I've looked through are the Nikon Field Scope ED model, and the Leupold Gold Ring series.

I would really like the Leupold but its top power is only 45X. I really wanted a 60X scope. I plan to go sheep hunting in the future is the reason for the 60X. I'm really contemplating the Nikon. Anybody have any experience with these. I had a couple of folks at the store tell me that it was as clear as their Swarovski's and Leica's but at half the price.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spotting scope?

There is always going to be a debate on the quality of optics. The funny thing is that most are always compared to Zeiss, Swarovski andLeica.Do you ever wonder why that is?

It's hard to make a decent comparison in a store, I have had the chance to try several different spotters in the real outdoors and beleive me there is a difference between looking at the elk mount on the opposite wall in a store and looking across a valley into dark pine timber and picking up a elk at 1/2 mile.

I chose the Swarovski ATS 80 HD over the others. It's fits my needs well. I do like the angled head over the straight one, to me it's a bit more versatile. A good tripod and quick 360 degree head are also things to look at.

I know in the end the cost is going to be the biggest factor. Get the best you can afford. just my $.02
Old 10-31-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,
About3 years ago I opened a package for Christmass from my wife and in it was a Leica Televid 77mm angled spotting scope with the 20-60/16-48x eye pice.I about droped a turd in my pants,not that I realy wanted it but I new it was way out of our buget at the time around 2300 bucks.
But this scope is worth every penny take a look at it.
BBJ
Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I puchased a Leupold windriver scope a few years back. It only goes to 45, but is durable as heck and has served me well. As hard as I hunt, and as hard as I am on equipment, I figured that a 2,000.00 would break on me just as easy as the one I bought. Just make sure that whatever you buy is not water resistant, but water proof. Alot of scopes, including the top brands are not able to withstand a total emersion in water. If moisture gets in, it doesn't matter if you have 5x or 100x, everything will look bad.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I wanted a 20x60x80 scope. I narrowed it down the new leupold and a burris. I went ahead with the burris, I never got to look through the leupold but I'm sure it is as good of quality as any. I got the burris 20x60x80 and couldn't be happier. It is surprisingly clear. As soon as the sun starts to fade it does get pretty dark at high magnification, but realize this, if you see a deer and can't tell how big he is and its getting dark, you wont nesecarrily be able to get a shot at him if he is to far to tell how big. I went with the burris and its around $300, which inclues a hardside case and a small tripod. And by the way, save your money and go to wal-mart and buy a descent tripod, not the ones at cabelas that are $50 more. They all work the same.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ShatoDavis:

Take a look at www.pentaxsportoptics.com Good luck.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:49 AM

Guys thanks for the replies thus far.

If you're glassing at sunset you aren't thinking about that day. You're looking for an animal to move on the next morning. I've never Sheep hunted, but I've been in sheep country. I was glassing a Bighorn sheep while elk hunting one afternoon with a "cheaper" 45xscope, and couldn't tell if he was 3/4 curl or full etc. I thought to myself: Thats about 2 miles away, If I was sheep hunting I would have to walk that distance and traverse some god awful rough ground just to tell if he was legal or not. Thats when I could see the benefit of a High quality 60x scope.

Now we come to the cost issue. I obviously don't relish the idea of spending a couple K on something that will be used once or twice a year tops. Though, I also know that a sheep hunt will end up costing me in excess of 10 k. So I guess if a scope could potentially save me from going empty handed on my for sure once in a lifetime hunt I'm going to spend the money.

I know that Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski is the standard to which everything else is measured, but Nikon certainly is not second rate either. I just want the best while spending the least.

Keep the advice coming in folks.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:05 AM

I've been disapointed in my Leupold Windriver. Mainly because it darkens as you pump up the magnification. In other words, at 15X, it is crystal clear. But at 45X it gets dark and objects are very indistinguishable. Dark and not a sharp image also.
I love my Nikon scope and binocs. When you're looking at spending that kind of money, drive somewhere to look through all the available scopes and pick one in your price range that stays bright and clear at the highest (most powerfull) setting. You will be glad you did.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:48 AM

Game4lunch,

Terrific advise indeed. The Windriver line is not in the running. I tested them and they are not what I'm looking for. I wish their was somewhere that I could take 4 scopes outside and look through all of them. the 4 scopes would be: Swarovski HD, Leica Televid, Zeiss Davariscope, & Nikon Fieldscope ED. If anyone knows of such a place I would greatly appreciate a heads up.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,
Do you have a Scheeles near by?I know in my po-dunk side of Montana our Sheeles stocks the Leica,Swaski's,Burton,Nikon (earth and sky)and some of the lesser ones.

If not look for a true optics place that sell to bird watchers and sport enthusiests.I never been to a Cabelas or Bass Pro but I'm shure they would have a few that you look for.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Spotting scope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.