Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long will arrows last? >

How long will arrows last?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long will arrows last?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default How long will arrows last?

All these threads about re-fletching got me thinking.

I probably haven't bought 30 arows, total, since I started bowhunting. Even if I had......I still have at least 24 of those.

Let's say I spend $1ea to have a fletching put on. $3x30=$90. I "might" hav a dozen or so fletched for this season (and subsequent)......so....add $36 a year.

Do you guys just LIKE to fletch your own arrows.....OR....do you find it economically a good purchase (equipment).....or both?

No wrong answer.....just wondering.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:38 AM

Default RE: How long will arrows last?

I'm glad you posted this, cuz I was wondering the same thing. I hope that someone can answer this.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Until they break
Old 05-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone knows I'm no expert, but I already know it will save me money even buying the Blitzenburger jig. I can try different vanes, different feathers, or change anything I want. I can fix my own arrows if I hit a fletch with another arrow or if one gets damaged. That may not seem like much, but how much does it cost you to drive to your shop to have one done?
I'm a real do it yourselfer. I build a lot of my own furniture, do my own flooring and tile work, etc. It didn't take much incentive for me to put out some capital to be able to do what I want, when I want and however I want when it comes to fletching. Also, yes, it's a blast!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I live 2mi. from my archery shop. I'm there a couple of times a week shooting 3D.

Istop by there on my way home a few times a week.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eventually I want to become self-sufficient bow hunting-wise so I need to be able to do things of this nature. I have probably payed for my jig just in the arrows I have refletched, needed or not. 4" vanes cost me approx 7 cents each and blazers 13 cents each. I can refletch and arrow for21 cents. Combine that with me liking to experiment, 3 vanes vs 4 vanes or 4" vanes vs blazers or blazers vs quikspins or something vs feathers. Then I can get different arrows with different spines and try different FOC's and so on and so on. I think you learn your equipment much better if you no how it is made and are able to use it much better if you understand it. Making my own arrows has helped me understand them immensely. Now I just need to understand more about my bow LMAO.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I like to fletch my arrows and change it up frequently. I fletch all my own, but at the shop I go to, so I can experiment with just about every color in the rainbow, which is fun. Keep it interesting is the way I look at it!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Site Bouncer

Arrows will last each person differently depending on how often and the type of arrow you are shooting. Also figure in the type of bow and how fast it shoots/lbs you're pulling. If you are shooting on the weak end of your spine limits, and shoot often you should change your arrows (especially carbon) fairly often.

As far as fletchings go, I replace them as needed. Unless I'm damaging them they tend to last a long time for me.I find it's easier for me to just drop them off at my local Pro shop to be re-fletched. They do a great job of removing the old vanes, preping and gluing on newones it's hard to tell they have even been replaced. They probably do a better job than I could ever do.

Once I have a set of arrows (I like to get at least 18 at a time) set them up and shoot them all. I thenset aside 8 for hunting only and practice with the other ten. I alternate shooting one set of five for a while then the other set of five and so on.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:57 PM

fletching your own arrows definitely saves you money and payes for the equipment very quickly. just look how much you save per dozen arrows by buying shafts and not prefletched. it will only take me 2 1/2- 3 dozen arrows to pay it off. also you could do what i do, fletch for all my friends and just have them pay for the costs of the vanes and glue, then add 5 bucks to help pay off jig. mines already paid for itself, and im thinking about buying another dozen arrows as mine might not be the right spine, still checking into that though.

the other side is yes i love fletching my own arrows. it allows me to customize them anyway i want. i just had custom orange and white wraps made by onestringer and they will look sweet with my blazers since i use two orange blazers and a white cock blazer. it allows you to make your arrows unique.